Anyone include utilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone include utilities?

I searched and could not find an answer to this question. Our attorney tells us that we can include outstanding utilities in our filing and that the utility companies cannot penalize us and refuse us service but that they could require a deposit.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this. We have a large natural gas bill - close to $800 that we would love to include but I am concerned that they may not "legally" be able to deny us service but I would hate for them to give us a hard time or shut us off and make us jump through hoops to get service back. We are currently not behind but on a budget payment with a large balance. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
    Filed: 8-19-09
    341: 9-21-09
    Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Yup I included my $800 electric bill $160 sewer bill you will have to pay a deposit. oh and the security contract gets zapped along with your cell phone is no more but you don't loss your service.
    ALL dischargable debt is included
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I've read that you can include them but there will be a LARGE deposit required when they open a new account for you.
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info TEW - I don't think I understood what you meant about the cell phone contract though. We have Verizon and I have been with them for close to 20 years. Are you saying our cell phone carrier will automatically want a deposit from us because we filed bk even though we are current on the bill?

Comment

liz - that is what I am afraid of. If the deposit is that large, then we might as well stay on the our current budget plan. If we had money like that to pay each and every utility large deposits, we could just pay the bills!

Comment

Originally posted by zpbk13 View Post
            Thanks for the info TEW - I don't think I understood what you meant about the cell phone contract though. We have Verizon and I have been with them for close to 20 years. Are you saying our cell phone carrier will automatically want a deposit from us because we filed bk even though we are current on the bill?
            No if you had a 2 year contract that gets wiped out
            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
            341 09/17/2008
            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by zpbk13 View Post
              liz - that is what I am afraid of. If the deposit is that large, then we might as well stay on the our current budget plan. If we had money like that to pay each and every utility large deposits, we could just pay the bills!
              Exactly. This particular poster had to pay a $500 deposit for a utility account! You could always call and ask
              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Actually, we just signed new contracts last month. So those contracts are no longer valid? That is interesting. It sounds like one of those ride throughs you do on a car that you don't reaffirm. You just keep making the payment but the debt is not yours if you decide to walk away. Is it similar with the cell phones? I love Verizon and have no desire to go anywhere else. I get lots of discounts through work and don't want to lose the corporate discounts either.

Comment

liz - wow! I'm not happy having such a large balance with the gas company but if we are talking a large deposit like that, I think we'll just keep making the budget payment. I knew it was too good to be true!

Comment

Check with your utility company. Here in California, there is a program called LIHEAP and REACH and CARE.

The LIHEAP program is run through the Slavation Army and if you get a shutoff notice they will pay up to 250.00 towards your gas bill if you qualify income wise. The amount may vary by state, not sure.

The CARE program gives you a 60% discount on your deposit for starting new service. So you may be able to start new service in your spouses name, if they are not currently on the bill statements or just qualifying may give you some kind of discount even if it is still in the same name.

The thing about the deposit is you will be getting it back eventually, so it is knd of like a savings account. IF you BK the debt, the 800.00 is gone and you will have to put up a deposit, but it is money that you still have.

You may not have to issue a new deposit if your service is still on as long as you are paying on the post petition debt.

Call the Gas co and ask them what their deposit requirements are if you BK the back bills and still have service. You don't have to tell them who you are, just ask general questions about their protocal for BK and then do the math and ask about low income programs. Some will even let you pay the deposit in installments. Usually after a year of on time payments, they are required to return your deposit to you, they don't keep it foreever.

Comment

dingdong - thanks for the advice. The bill is actually in my husband's name and I was wondering what would happen if I got the service in my name instead. I will call anonomously and see what our provider's protocol is for people who have filed bk and still have their service on. We are not behind on our budget payment but once I found out we could include it, it would make sense to do so if the deposit is not too steep or if I could switch service to my name.

I just love this board for all the great advice and free flow of information!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X