top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I call and notify my creditors before they start calling me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I call and notify my creditors before they start calling me?

I decided I needed to file for BK a few weeks ago. Prior to this I have always been current on my payments. My payments are just now becoming past due and creditors are calling me. I have let them know I am filing and given them my attorneys information. Problem is, they are calling me at work FIRST. I'm not ignoring their calls, just the opposite. I want to tell them so they will not call me at work. I work for a very small company and I know when a bank or credit card company calls looking for someone it's because they're not paying their bill (that's the general assumption anyway). I really don't want people at my work to know about this. Can I call them and notify them? Will it make a difference or does it still go to their collections department to follow up? If I can, would I just call their regular customer service number? By the way, it will probably be another month before I am actually filed if that makes a difference.

If you tell the callers that if they call you at work you maybe fired by law they can not call you at work.
    Some of the creditors will leave you alone for a while after you give them your lawyer info some will just keep it up.
    I sent all of my creditors my attorney information with my payment slip with out a payment. thet seemed to slow them down a little.
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I don't know if it would make a difference. I had a company calling me up until my 341 meeting last week. They knew and had all the info. I was filing bk.
      I agree with previous poster - if you tell them not to call you at work - they cannot.

Comment

Many assign the work for collections to a different department within their company. They don't care who you called or anything else.
        And some companies just hire another agency to call you, they are the worst.
        The bottom line is they can and will call you until you file in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
          I don't know if it would make a difference. I had a company calling me up until my 341 meeting last week. They knew and had all the info. I was filing bk.
          I agree with previous poster - if you tell them not to call you at work - they cannot.
          They called you after you filed?
          Did you tell your atty about this or the TT?

Isn't this a violation of the automatic stay?
          Ch.7 filed 4/8/09
          341 5/19/09
          Ch.7 DISCHARGED 8/9/09!

Comment

I had one company call me, send me registered letters and all right up until my 341.
            I had called them, gave them my BK # over the phone, by email and mail many times. They did not care.
            They even turned the case over to their attorney to collect.
            I told my attorney about this, he sent letter after letter and they still kept bothering me. Note that their attorney's stopped immediately when they found out we had a case number.
            They kept saying they had not been notified. BS they hadn't!
            The last time they called I threatened to "get them" and that was the last call or contact I ever had with them~~~so far. If you don't fear anything else you will fear me! If they want to threaten me after I called and mailed/emailed so many time turn about is more than fair play, and I can definitely elevate the threat!
            But that was one company in many, so that was not too bad I guess.
            Now, did or does the court do anything? I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
              If you tell the callers that if they call you at work you maybe fired by law they can not call you at work.
              Some of the creditors will leave you alone for a while after you give them your lawyer info some will just keep it up.
              I sent all of my creditors my attorney information with my payment slip with out a payment. thet seemed to slow them down a little.
              TEW,

When you did this, did you send your information regular mail or certified mail where they have to sign for it.

I was actually thinking about doing this. I was hoping to file by June 18th, but I cannot get in to see my attorney until June 30th, which means that my filing date won't be until sometime early July. In a way it's good that they are moving the filing date because that gives me more time to get my money together, but it also sucks because I want to get it out of the way.
              Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
              341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
              Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
              Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X