What will you do post discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What will you do post discharge?

This question keeps niggling at the back of my brain and I'd like to open this discussion up to the class. How will you view credit cards and debt in general after you are discharged? Will you use it wisely? Not at all? Or get back into the same pattern that got us into this mess?

I guess the easy answer is no one intends to get themselves back into financial trouble and I want to avoid it at all costs. But the reality is some people find themselves with a fresh start and as well all know the credit jackals will circle us as easy pickings knowing we can't file again.

So I was just wondering what is everyone's view of credit. Now (if you haven't filed yet) and what do you think your stand with credit will be in the future?
    Filed: 8-19-09
    341: 9-21-09
    Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Once I even file and get done...which will be awhile, (I paid my attorney, then to find out I couldn't file yet....kind of like a hurry up and wait.) I think that credit will play a very small role in my life.

I would like to have a credit card to make purchases that I get reimbursed for. I don't think it is fair for me to make those out of my checking account and "wait" to get paid back. I'm mainly talking about work functions and stuff like that.

CCs got me through college.......they got me through moving and taking a job with a paycut and increased living expenses......what they didn't get me was a good idea of what finances should be like.

I got into debt at a very early age (15) due to a car accident....it just kind of seemed downhill from there.

I think knowing that I don't owe anyone anything will be a good enough feeling not to get back into that situation.
    Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
    ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

We initially filed a Ch 13 so we've been without credit cards for a while and you know what? We're fine without them. When you have to really watch your money to be able to buy something it makes you appreciate it more. We're in the middle of converting to a 7. Hopefully it will go through and we don't intend to use any credit any time soon.
      4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
      5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
      7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
      7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I am really, really hoping that I will not use credit cards again. Also I want to never count on overtime again, because I had an extra shift that got cut and that started the spiral. But I never should have counted on that, I should have always lived on my base salary.
        Filed Chap. 7 1/11/09
        341 2/14/09; later declared asset case
        Discharged 5/18/09
        Asset case - still no payment plan proposed

Comment

No more credit cards at all! We will rebuild our credit with our car loan and student loans. Since filing, we have been putting money into a savings account for the first time and have been sticking to a budget for 2 months now. We feel much more confidant in our financial future.
          From this day on I move FORWARD!!!
          Filed Chapter 7 on 3/20/09!
          Discharged 6/2009

Comment

Originally posted by novayalife View Post
            No more credit cards at all! We will rebuild our credit with our car loan and student loans. Since filing, we have been putting money into a savings account for the first time and have been sticking to a budget for 2 months now. We feel much more confidant in our financial future.
            This is my plan as well. The only credit I plan on using is our mortgage and maybe a small loan for car, no brand new cars, etc. Once we file, I plan to do the same, start putting money back to buy a 2-4 yr old car but I may need a small loan to get it quicker, I need one for work.
            07/10/09 Filed Chapter 7
            08/10/09 341
            10/16/09 Discharged
            02/01/10 Closed

Comment

My goal is to manage my life with cash. I never thought I could qualify for a 7. Now that I have, I've decided to let the house, the car, and the motorcycle (that one hurts) go. I think being completely debt free is worth it. It's time for me to live within my means instead of trying to make enough money to reach a standard of living I can't afford. It's been a real eye opener!
              Filed: 5/7/2009 :cry: 341: 6/9/2009 :yahoo:
              Discharged: 8/12/2009 :clapping::clapping::clapping:
              My advice is based on personal experience only

Comment

You all have encouraged me so much. It takes real guts to let "things" go. I want to keep my timeshare. I want to keep my brand new car and hubby wants to keep his car too. Why? Why are we so attached to stuff. Everytime I think of giving up my new car I get this panicky thought of what will "people" think. That thought should not factor i nto my decision at all but it - I'm being honest, I can't help it.

I have to work on this and work on it ASAP. I don't want to squander my fresh start. I need to go home tonight and have a heart to heart with hubby.
                Filed: 8-19-09
                341: 9-21-09
                Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X