HSA Accounts, are they exempt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSA Accounts, are they exempt??

I am considering filing a CH-7 on my Sub-S corp and will have to file personally also due to personal guarantees on leases and bank loans.

I have an HSA account (Health Savings Account) with a $10000 balance.
    The last 2 years I was able to pay all my medical expenses out of pocket and wanted the HSA to fund my medical expenses when I retire. (62 this July).

Should I take the HSA funds out and use them to pay other expenses?
    I could contribute more into my 401K and use the funds for living expenses.

I am not going to file until forced to by bank or landlord... Hopefully we will see some economic recovery and commercial construction will come back...

Thanks,

Keith

IDK. When we filed we had $3600 in our HSA and it was exempt. No questions were even asked about it. $3600 is what we typically spend on our family of 4 per Year.

$10K is a lot though so I'm not sure.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I think your problem here is that the HSA is not considered an ERISA plan.
      Not clear if it might fall under the IRA exemption, possibly state level.
      I would keep looking for info but I would operate on the assumption that it's at risk until you find out otherwise.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I just saw my lawyer on Friday and I asked him about my HSA account. Mine is quite small like 500 bucks but he said you have to file it a special way ...he said mine wasn't an issue cause it was a small amount but I can't remember exactly what he said about how to report it.
        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X