meet with lawyer before 341?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meet with lawyer before 341?

i am wondering whether people out there can tell me whether their lawyer met with them to prepare for the 341 meeting. also, whether their lawyer gave them a copy of what was actually filed. and when their lawyer asked for their tax returns.

mine seems to be very hands off. i am getting more info from this forum than from my lawyer. i don't know whether that should make me worried.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

our 341 ia today and we are to meet our lawyer at the courthouse 30 min prior to go over everything. he asked for our tax returns with all of our other documents.

Comment

My lawyer asked for my tax returns the day I retained him. He asked me to send him my most recent bank statements, payroll stubs, tax returns... and I had to fill out this huge packet of information that asked me all kinds of questions...even ones I didn't understand... lol.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

We met with our lawyers paralegal two weeks before our 341, checked papers and a short briefing with her then we had a 30 minute phone consult with our lawyer the night before our 341.

Comment

When we went in to sign our papers after turning in all of our info they told us about the 341, we also got a copy of all the documents they filed when we went in to sign that day and that they were all true and correct. A month after that was our 341 and the lawyer sent us a letter as to what to expect and what to bring. Didn't have another meeting unless we wanted to request one. Our lawyer was representing about 10 other people the day our 341 was so we didn't get to talk with him personally, but we didn't feel like we needed to.

Comment

im Pro Se, but had a lawyer do my paperwork so i can only relay what i observed. i got to my 341 hours early and most i saw and talked to had never even met their lawyer till the 341 meeting, just paralegals till that point. and most lawyers i saw went over the 341 and had a discussion with their clients before their time in front of the trustee. you should have your filing(its yours) and if hasnt requested them, or even if he has, take your tax returns and ss card and pic ID. my trustee was pissed at anyone who didnt send in their tax returns prior to the 341 and then didnt have copies on them, if they didnt have them, trustee continued them to a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by endisnear View Post
              our 341 ia today and we are to meet our lawyer at the courthouse 30 min prior to go over everything. he asked for our tax returns with all of our other documents.
              The same for me - I had met with my Attorney twice before the 341, however. - jb
              jb - A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes.
              Filed - 2/27/09
              341 - 4/3/09
              Discharged - 6/20/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                My lawyer asked for my tax returns the day I retained him. He asked me to send him my most recent bank statements, payroll stubs, tax returns... and I had to fill out this huge packet of information that asked me all kinds of questions...even ones I didn't understand... lol.
                Same for me and would not file until all this plus some extra was in their hands. We have met with attorney 3 times @ 1 hour per time. Meet with paralegal once for 2 hours. To meet with attorney 1 1/2 hours prior to 341 meeting at his office to go over everything again. Then he is taking us to the meeting so there will not be any parking problems.

Got the list of requested documents from Trustee (had already supplied all that was requested to attorney) and the same day got email from attorney, that he was sending the requested documents to the trustee.

Needless to say, I am feeling comfortable right now with my attorney choice. But time will tell.
                Filed 5/27/09
                341 7/2/09
                341 held
                Discharge and closed 9/4/09

Comment

We were asked to bring our tax returns for the previous 2 years at our very first appt with our atty....before we retained him. We had that initial visit and retained him that day. We went back a couple of weeks later to turn in his packet and file. He gave us copies of everything that was filed that day. We met with him again this morning (our 341 is Thursday, so 2 days prior). He gave us a play by play of how a 341 goes, made sure we had all of our paperwork together that we were to have with us, made sure we know exactly where to go, told us which atty would be with us (there are 2 working with us) and asked if we had any questions. I feel very relaxed and prepared. Especially since he said they schedule 12 per hour! I know it'll likely be quick now!
                  filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
                  341 meeting 6/4/09
                  DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

wow, thank you so much to all responses.

i called and talked to my lawyer's secretary. i asked whether they need any documents from me, like say, my tax returns. she said something like "oh, you filed your tax returns?" hmmm. then she talked to the lawyer and got back to me saying that indeed, they need my tax returns.

i'm glad i did that! i certainly don't want to piss off the trustee like MrSmithster said would happen!

i met with this lawyer twice: the initial consultation, then an hour to go over all the questions in the forms, and then he filed. he didn't ask for a single document - said everything in my case is very simple and all he needs is my good memory. i got a good reference for him, and bk is his specialty, so i have hope that he knows what he is doing...
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X