Finished Final "Pre-File" Call w/ Attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Final "Pre-File" Call w/ Attorney

I'm sitting here waiting for him to email my petition to proof and if all looks good I should be filed on Monday morning.

A couple of surprises... I was evidently about $106 over the median so I had to be "means tested" into a Chapter 7 which the attorney said will bring more scrutiny to my case. He went over a bunch of deductions with me to make sure he had everything he could and he said I'm just skating by in a 7.

On one hand, I'm relieved, but on the other hand, I'm wondering what this "increased scrutiny" will look like.

The other thing is that the money we have saved for my kids' college funds (not much, I think it's under $1000) is not exempt even though most of it consists of gifts from family for birthdays, etc. My kids are young so I'm not "worried" about it so much as surprised that they would go after a small amount like that.

Well, the email has come in so I'm off to review my case... If all goes well, I should be filed by Monday!
    Filed Chapter 7 - 7/8/09
    341 - 8/24/09
    Discharged - 11/3/09
    Closed - 12/10/09

Update - I'm so please I switched to this new attorney. Paperwork looks good. I just need to go out and buy a month's worth of groceries this weekend to deplete my account as much as possible!!
    Filed Chapter 7 - 7/8/09
    341 - 8/24/09
    Discharged - 11/3/09
    Closed - 12/10/09

Comment

Sounds like you are going down the right path.

Comment

Thanks. Let's hope so. I don't think I'll really breathe any easier until this is all just a bad memory... I just hope they don't touch my kids' college money. That just seems wrong.
        Filed Chapter 7 - 7/8/09
        341 - 8/24/09
        Discharged - 11/3/09
        Closed - 12/10/09

Comment

Good luck! I feel your pain... I just want this over with as well.
          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

I just want this to be over with ASAP...I'm trying to stay away from Pacer while I wait for my 341

Good Luck!
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Anyone else on a "means-tested" Chapter 7? Did you hear the same from your attorney about more scrutiny of your paperwork?
              Filed Chapter 7 - 7/8/09
              341 - 8/24/09
              Discharged - 11/3/09
              Closed - 12/10/09

Comment

Originally posted by FakeName View Post
                Anyone else on a "means-tested" Chapter 7? Did you hear the same from your attorney about more scrutiny of your paperwork?
                Yes, I did the means test because I'm over the median by 20k. It's all in your expense numbers, on my numbers (according to my attorney), nothing stands out, nothing excessive and he doesn't think there will be extra scrutiny on my petition. If you have some expenses that exceed the IRS standards, you'll just need to save your recripts and prove your expense. For example, my husband commutes 130 miles per day, so my expense for car maint. is quite a bit higher, I've been saving all receipts just in case our Trustee questions this.

Good Luck!
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I'm over by a whopping $106. Maybe it's just a standard line that that they tell you when you don't qualify right off the bat. I don't have any unusual deductions and I can justify everything...
                  Filed Chapter 7 - 7/8/09
                  341 - 8/24/09
                  Discharged - 11/3/09
                  Closed - 12/10/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X