Filing This Week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing This Week...

Well, I met with my attorney again today and I thought he would be filing for me today but apparently not. He said he wanted to wait and file like 2-3 at the same time? I'm like.... ok.....

So, he said he would file it before the end of the week. I'm really nervous because he seems not nervous or concerned...does that make sense? He seems so casual about it and thinks its gonna be just fine. He even made a comment about me being more worried about it than he is... lol.

I am well under median so, I don't need to do the means test. Which I'm glad about. I just started a job in April so I only have 3 paychecks in the last 6 months. He isn't too sure about a travel advance that I got for work last month but I think he's going to include it anyways. It was only a 1,000 dollars... He also said that just based on my housing values alone it gives me cause.

Its just wierd that I feel so relieved about doing it but also scared that something might have gotten left out or the trustee is gonna do something unexpected... perhaps I'm just being a worry wart?

And some of you have read my other posts about my creditors... I'm worried that some of them are going to object... my lawyer just says sit back and see if they say anything and we'll worry about it if and when they do. Its just frustrating when you are trying to juggle your finances and do what's best for you in hard times (IE: I transfered some balances in March from some high rate cards to a balance transfer offer from Discover to try and cut my expenses a bit) and then when you realize everything you were trying to do isn't really helping and decide to file, you learn that oops that might be considered a bad thing.

Anyways, thanks for reading... I'm just so anxious about this whole thing. I hate dealing with the gov't and official things when you're so unsure about what might happen etc... I realize I need to chill out a bit and usually when I get worked up like this everything works out just fine and I paniced about it for nothing...sigh.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Take a deep breath and relax.

You aren't intentionally committing fraud and trying to hide things, so even in the worst case nothing horrible will happen to you.

It's good that your attorney is more relaxed than you. That's what you're paying him for!

Is he making you uncomfortable for any reason besides him being calm about everything? Do you have any reason to doubt his experience that your case has nothing to be concerned about?

Comment

Yea, I'm trying to do just that...think I will have a glass of wine. I'm also going through an immigration process for my husband so just so many things at one time.

No I am certainly not trying to... I just feel terrible because a few of my cards I used up through May (none after I decided to file and seek legal council) ... nothing big or luxury just paying for gas, transportation, groceries, clothing...etc... that's actually what finally made me realize I really needed to file because I was having to charge those things to stay afloat!

No, I don't think he's making me uncomfortable per se... I think I'm doing that to myself! I think I just went into this thinking it was a very serious and dramatic thing and would be heavily scrutinized. So, the laid back "don't worry about it" approach just kinda threw me off. He is very respected and I know he knows what he's doing and is very responsive to me etc... I think I'm making myself worried at this point.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

Well, he emailed me today and said he just filed my stuff at like 7pm :o

Comment

I feel your pain, Amy. I am an OCD worrier! My attorney is filing tomorrow or Friday and he is as calm as calm can be. But he is the one who's been through it about a million times, not me. I find that the things I worry about never amount to nothing, it's the things I never see coming that bite me on the butt. So I try to worry about everything so nothing bad happens-lol

I did have to wait a couple of months to file so I would come under the meadian...I just barely squeaked by now under $22.00.

Comment

Hehe, yea I have the "prepare for the worst and hope for the best" attitude I guess. I just hope when he sends me a copy of my petition I'm not like OMG that's not right! We did go over it in his office but we didn't go down like every detail they put on the pages... I wish you good luck though! Sad that it seems so much of this situation is about luck and if you get a nice trustee or not.

Do any of you know, now that I have filed... are there any rules about what I spend my money on or how I handle my finances now? Ok I wanted to add... more responsibly now of course! But just curious if someone is gonna yell at me for paying something or buying some new furniture... (we don't have any!)
            Last edited by Amy26; 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I"m no expert, but I believe I've read here that the day you file is the first day of your "fresh start". So you should be able to do anything you want with your money.

Comment

amy26, i felt exactly like you did! i am all worried about every little detail and the lawyer was oh so calm, basically said my case is totally straightforward and "will be successful". i keep asking myself whether this is too good to be true. i am afraid to relax until the big discharge comes along. but he is just so sure everything is fine. and he has done it for a living for 30 years. he must know what he is talking about, right??
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09
                discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Bah... :/

So now that I posted earlier about how you should relax, here I am just filed and doing the same thing.

I just pulled up my info in Pacer and went through my petition again. Of course, despite reading it in the lawyer's office, I noticed a few things. I also pointed out a few things in his office that bugged me but he assured me were fine.

My lawyer said now it's just down to me showing up at the 341 meeting -- and all the trustee will care about is that I'm breathing. I sure hope it goes that well...

All in all, I'm mostly scared because there's a whole lotta debt on those schedules (darn it adds up quick with 2 years of collection interest and fees, and a boatload of student loans) but you can hear the crickets chirping in property and assets.

I'm living it, so I know it's true; but I am having second thoughts that it looks fishy and will cause a lot of questions.

Edit to add: Oh, and for the first time in about two and a half years I turned the ringer back on my phone. I'm sure that will scare me to death the first time it rings.

Comment

I can totally relate with you Music... my lawyer specializes in bankruptcy and apparently has been doing it for like 25 years. He seems to know the trustee and have good relationships with them... it is almost too good to be true. I guess that's why I'm so nervous ... I've been so bogged down with all these debts for not just the time that I was unemployed the last 6 months but really my whole adult life. I moved stuff around, did a debt consolidation at one point years ago, moved some to my home equity (when I had it) and always tried to keep myself afloat. Its really hard to pay off your debts and get things under control if you're never in the position to do so. Sure, I could have moved in with like 5 other people and been miserable but living cheaply... but you gotta have certain standards for yourself. So, I was never really fully able to get to the point where I was saving money for emergencies...having "future" money etc...then when I lost my job for 6 months it all just crumbled.

So, I fully relate to the whole feeling of disbelief... and I mentioned it in another post I really think I know deep down that my lawyer is confident but I think its human nature when someone says "don't worry about it, it'll all work out" we can never really believe it till it happens.

Jadams - yes, I have a lot of debt too... it just kinda snuck up on me. My lawyer kept saying don't worry your house alone gives you total justification for doing this... so...

Here's to hoping.

Comment

I asked my lawyer about the spending my money thing after filing... he said I can spend it on living expenses and to follow the court order I will receive? Does anybody know what is in this court order?

Comment

not a clue!
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09
                        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

To you, bk is an emotional decision, along with it being a financial decision. To the bk lawyer, it's nothing but a financial process. A good lawyer that has done it many times before will not worry. They have a job to do, they do it regular, and they do it right. If your lawyer tells you that everything will be ok, then trust him. That's why he's getting paid. To make sure.......
                          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X