top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure about the attny I was going to use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about the attny I was going to use.

My husband and I had found an attorney we were going to use in MI. After doing some reading on hear, something resonated in my mind. We will qualify for a Chapter 7 as we are under the means test. It's only myself that is filing, but even with my husbands "retirement" income, we are under the means test.

I vividly remember this attorney saying that he believes he does more Chapter 13's then most attorneys in his area. He was recommended to us by a credit counselor I talked to.

I'm concerned that maybe we shouldn't be using him for chapter 7 because he is proudly the chapter 13 king? What do you think? Should I look for someone else that does more chapter 7?

If you're having doubts, I would at least make a few more appts for other BK attorneys in your area. I started having doubts about my 1st attorney because I found this forum AFTER I retained him and learned that I could possibly qualify for a ch 7, but he was "pushing" me into a ch 13 because I was over the median.
    I just retained a new attorney and file for a ch 7 on the 28th of May

Good Luck!
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

MI Bankruptcy Attorney

Can anyone give me some recommendations for an attorney in the Lansing/Grand Rapids area?

Comment

Originally posted by Migal View Post
        Can anyone give me some recommendations for an attorney in the Lansing/Grand Rapids area?
        Hi Migal: Welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to call the clerk of the Bankruptcy Court in your area and ask for a list of recommendations.

The clerks in your BK Court are the 'frontliners' that deal with all of the BK attorneys in your area.

They know which ones are properly prepared and cause a minimal of changes and upset to the schedule.

They also know which attorneys are slipshod and are 'last-minute' filers, and are just plain unpleasant to deal with. Nine times out of ten, you will get a good list.

Good luck to you.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You are just feeling initial jitters.

Comment

Do you think it's bad they he doesn't have a good rating on lawyerratingz.com? I don't know if that is a good site or not as many attorneys that I have heard of aren't even listed there.

He has four comments, two good, two bad.

I know that it's hard to judge based on comments as I don't know the circumstances of the cases.

Comment

That sight has no quality control.

Comment

they can't even spell "ratings" correctly, don't trust that site :p
                Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
                ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X