Anyone work for the Gov't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone work for the Gov't?

Ugg... so much going on with me at once... I am getting so emotional. I just filed yesterday and then today I get a phone call from the gov't security investigation people that my interview for my security clearance is on Tuesday of next week. Why couldn't they have done this sooner.... uggg... The form that I filled out in April said that if you have filed for bankruptcy you cannot work for this peticular agency.

I've been up front with my bosses and I even asked one a few weeks ago if it would be an issue... they say things like "I don't think so" and "it should be ok" but they don't know for sure.

I know I have to be honest and tell them cause she's gonna ask me (just like a trustee) if anything has changed since I filled out the form... I just hope its not going to be a deal breaker.

Do any of you have experience with getting a clearance at the same time you've filed? I know people who already had a clearance and then filed later were fine...but I'm not sure if my situation is different.

I was talking to my female coworker a little while ago and started crying... is that not the tackiest thing ever to cry in front of a coworker? I'm so mortified...
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

You know what, as long as you tell the truth if asked, it is what it is.

Don't sweat it. In a worst case scenario, you get a job elsewhere.

Are you not dealing with the USCIS for you fiance? Now there is something to cry about lol. Some of my friends experiences with them are just mind boggling.
    My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
    posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Yes, I have to deal with them on immigration for my husband. So many things at the same time... I'm actually not really worried about that part though. We have a good attorney for that and its a pretty simple straightforward thing. Probably submit the papers for that by the end of the month.

And "getting a job elsewhere" would be easier said then done as I am filing for bankruptcy don't exactly have any funds to live on if I get canned! And when a potential employer asks me why I left my last job ...coming up with a truthful answer that doesn't make me look bad would be tricky.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

We did work for the government, DoD as such.
        I was an employee rep at one point and I never saw anyone lose a clearance or be denied on over a BK.
        Things may have changed as we retired a few years back but I think not.

Comment

BK discharged May 08 no clearance at that time. needed to get clearance in August. Had to have an interview etc but no problem getting clearance. This was not top secret though.
          Chp 7 Filled 2-21-08
          341 Hearing 3-24-08

Comment

Thanks for the replies...mine isn't top secret either... its a public trust position. Makes me feel a little better.

Comment

When it comes to clearances its about honesty. If the interview even thinks for a moment that you might try and hide something you're done. No one can train you to have integrity. Either you have it or you don't. It sounds like you did a lot research and figured out on your own that a Bankruptcy would disqualify you. Unfortunately you might already have your answer.

Bankruptcy for most of us is when finances get out of control and we live beyond our means. This can be a security issues because you could be bribed or tempted into doing something to get out of debt. You will just need to explain that its was a "learning experience" and that filing bankruptcy you were taking responsibility and never going to let it happen again. If your case is different like medical or loss of income then it'll be easier to explain.

Comment

Just be 100% honest with them and you'll be fine. Disclose that you just filed for bankruptcy so that they know but I"m sure they'll ask about your finances (and they will probably know if you lie....after all they pull your credit reports and do a full background check).
                May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Well yea, its not like I ran out and racked up a ton of debt and then couldn't pay it. I didn't have a job from October 08 till April 09. If they don't understand that...then maybe I don't wanna work there anyways... And yes they pull my credit and stuff...but they pulled my credit last month and everything was still reported as current .... for some reason my mortgage company didn't report me as late until I went to 60 days.

Comment

Higher level clearances have very little to do with honesty.
                    That is just a beginning.

Comment

DH already had his clearance and we are about to file soon, but when they were doing the investigation they saw we had a lot of debt. Then they asked if we had any equity and how much our house was worth. LoL That was 4 yrs ago and ummm DH lost his job and we refi'ed from a fixed rate to a sub prime to get by for the time being. Anyway, he went to his boss and asked about BK and the boss said as long as you are honest and tell them AHEAD of time so they know it's coming. His boss knew because he had filed himself due to his divorce and his wife (ex-wife) had medical bills as well. My DH has a "middle of the road" clearance w/ a polygraph (which he still has completed yet), BUT I think if you get higher than that it doesn't matter how honest you are.

Also...there are probably many, many people going through some sort of difficult time right now. If you didn't say anything then maybe they would find it odd. Just tell them upfront..I am sure it will be ok. Good Luck and let us know if you get the job!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X