Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello w/question about personal prop

HI I'm new to the forum and bankruptcy!

I'm going to the lawyer early next week... couple questions.

On average what was your total cost of the whole process?

Also, do they make you list EVERYTHING? My family only has basic necessities. We have cheap used cars and are reaffirming our mortgage. But as far as personal property do they care that my kids have toys and whatnot? Do they care that I have a couple cheap guitars and computers?

I think it depends on what is required by the district you will file in. I just had to give a general list. I put things like my wedding rings and clothing separate then houshold things like furniture kitchen ware etc were lumped together. Course, at my 341 meeting you never know if the trustee is gonna ask "ok what's included in this lump" ...

I paid 2900 to my lawyer. 2500 for his fee and 300 for the filing fee. I live in Virginia.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

OUr "Stuff" was lumped together by our lawyer aka: couch, chair,loveseat,2 end tables, TV, TV stand, Kitchen table 6 chairs, Stove, Refrigerator etc etc and then did a very scientific calculation using approximate garage sale prices and came up with a value of like $1500...lol....state max for our district is $21000 so I think we are ok.....he did break out wedding rings, cars, golf clubs etc but not too in depth at all....no biggie!
      Filed Chapter 7 June 5th,2009
      341 Scheduled July 9th, 2009
      60 day club memeber and counting.......
      Last day for Objections Sept 10,2009...

Comment

Our total costs were $1500 for the attorney and all but we had to search one out that reasonable.
        The forms provided did not provide enough room to really list absolutely everything we had.
        The attorney told us to list the major items and not worry about the little stuff.
        I assume that the trustees and the courts are looking for things of value that they can sell via distribution if you have more than you should.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Ok, I figured my lawyer is reasonable. I haven't retained him yet but sat down with him last week. He said we'll need about 1700-1800 total (800 to start).

I'm going to retain him tomorrow and get this thing rolling. My checking account has been garnished and I would like to move quickly on filing and getting the stay.

I noticed on my credit report that my recent creditors aren't on it? All my charged off credit cards are listed but not the collections. I have been able to gather all of them though.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X