No announcement yet.

Transcript denied on discharged tuition debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting point from Dst1. Might be on to something.

If it was a mistake regarding student overpayment then the school may be correct.
    My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
    posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Tuition vs Educational Benefit

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I guess my question at this point is: Who determines if the amount owed was for tuition or an educational benefit?

My tuition for that semester was well over the amount that they got in the discharged judgment.

Why would the BK judge discharge both the tuition debt and the associated judgment if they were non-dischargeable debts? Since the university received notice of the bankruptcy, wasn't the onus on them to contest the discharge during the Trustee meeting (or at least file a motion before the discharge?)

Since the university always paid off the tuition BEFORE issuing refund checks, does it not follow that I would first owe them for tuition, THEN for cost of living expenses?

Yes, the amount that they say I still owe went to pay off grants that went toward TUITION for the part of the semester that I didn't attend due to withdrawing. So I essentially have to pay them back the tuition I still owe since a portion of the educational benefit (grant) was no longer valid, due to my early withdrawal. Hopefully that isn't considered a benefit overpayment...

What aggravates me the most is that although this debt was clearly listed, and the county court discharged the judgment, I am forced to reopen my case before I can return to school, get a decent job, etc. My stint over here in China ends in June, and if possible I'd like to return to school next Fall if I can get access to my transcripts before the transfer application deadline.

Thank you all so much for your research and help on this matter.

Good Luck,

C7

PS: Also, of course I'll reopen the case in MN, if that is the tactic I choose. I suppose that since my BK is federal, it might not matter where I file a suit for lost opportunity, assuming that I'd be filing that case in Federal court...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X