Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just retained a lawyer and have a ?

Hello everyone!
    So we went ahead and paid $200 to retain the lawyer yesterday and forget to ask her a question.
    What happens if we don't pay on our c cards bills while we are paying our fees for lawyer to file and the c cards companies sue us before we file chapter 7 in Oct? Do we start forwarding all c cards letters to them?
    Have all these questions and still forget to ask them all,lol
    Thanks

Once you retain a lawyer, usually you can start forwarding all your creditor collection calls to your lawyer. I doubt you will get sued before October...but depends how behind you are already. If you have decided to file and already retained the lawyer then you should stop paying all the things you don't intent to keep.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Once you retain a lawyer it is best that you stop paying on your credit cards. The CC companies don't tend to sue you right away, unless the debt is a very large amount. When do you think you will be done paying for your legal fees so you can file? The credit card companies give you at least 90 days before they send your account to a 3 party collection agency. You should forward all collection notices to your lawyer. That is what they are getting paid for, make sure they include them in your mailing matrix so not one creditor is left out of your BK. When the credit card companies start calling just let them know you are filing chapter 7 bk. They still call and check in every now and again depending on how aggressive the collection activity becomes. Until you provide them with your case number. I stopped paying on my cc bills for about 10 months until my offical file date. No suits or wage garnishment.

FILED 02-12-2009
      341 MEETING 03-25-2009
      RE-AFFIRM HEARING 06-08-2009
      DISCHARGED 06-16-2009

Comment

Originally posted by badkarma View Post
        Hello everyone!
        So we went ahead and paid $200 to retain the lawyer yesterday and forget to ask her a question.
        What happens if we don't pay on our c cards bills while we are paying our fees for lawyer to file and the c cards companies sue us before we file chapter 7 in Oct? Do we start forwarding all c cards letters to them?
        Have all these questions and still forget to ask them all,lol
        Thanks
        I seriously doubt any of your CCs' will persue a Judgement, which is costly, IF you are filing in October. I retained our Attorney last Sept. Stopped paying the majority in late Sept of last year. I had one CC with a Balance Transfer in Aug. When we thought we would be filing in Jan. 09, our Attorney recommended 3 min. payments with at least $25.00 addtl monies each month.

All CCs have been notified at least 2 times of our Attorney's name & phone #. I believe all are now in the hands of Collection Agencies. Just normal yada, yada 'you owe so and so' letters.

You should receive a Notice when a Judgement is filed with the Courts. Your Attorney will be able to delay such until filing. My personal opinion - you will not receive any letters if you haven't stopped paying CC yet, until around Sept., at the earliest. I hope she told you to stop paying CCs unless you are still charging (sometimes very small amounts may be ok) or made a Balance Transfer. I would make copies of the letters you receive & keep them in a file for your Attorney and mail them to her every month.

Just my thoughts.

Luci

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X