Have a separate letter typed to each individual creditor along
    these lines:

Gentlemen:
    I have been retained by (or, represent) Mr._________ for the
    purpose of settling as many accounts as possible before filing a
    petition in bankruptcy.
    Mr. ___________ total debts at the present is $5000.00, with
    assets on only negligible value.
    In an effort to settle honorable with his creditors, Mr.
    ________ has managed to raise $500.00 for this purpose. This
    money will be distributed on an equal percentage bases only among
    the creditors who accept this offer.
    Of course your percentage my be as little as ten percent,
    and may be much more (may be large enough to repay the debt),
    dependent on the number of creditors accepting this offer.
    The funds in settlement of debts due will be mailed on
    _________. (write in the date of 10 days from the time you mail
    this to the creditor.) Your response must be received prior to
    this date.
    To accept this offer, all you need to do is sign the
    enclosed copy of this letter and return it to me using the
    enclosed self-addressed envelope.
    Pursuant to the provisions stated above, we hereby agree to
    accept a minimum of $________, or a greater amount pursuant to
    the number of creditors accepting this offer, as full payment and
    settlement on account number _______________.
    Name of Creditor _______________
    Authorized signature ___________
    Date ___________________________

A letter like this is very effective. None of the other
    creditors will want to be the fall-guy. Sure they only have the
    chance of receiving only 10%, but by the same token there's a
    chance of receiving alot more and by nature, creditors love a
    gamble. They'll jump at your offer, knowing that this is one
    play the stand to win at least something, and cannot lose more
    than what has already been lost."

I don't think it would be effective. Assuming you're dealing with multiple creditors-the likelihood that they would all agree is next to nothing, which means the person would end up filing anyway. And, if a settlement payment had been accepted by the creditor, they would probably end up paying it back to the trustee.
    Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

Our attorney told us not to deal with creditors at all, but to forward them to him. I'm not sure how it would work if you were filing on your own (pro se).

Comment

Some creditors will work with you and may settle for 1/2 of the debt. But I can assure you that a large percentage will not make this offer. If you call them, they MIGHT offer to lower the interest rate for a certain period of time, if you meet the criteria. I can also almost guarantee that they won't settle for 10% either.
        Problems associated with this are: You will not get a 100% of creditors to work with you, if you have more than several. 2nd if you end of filing bankruptcy there is the preferriental payment issue to contend with. 3rd, MBNA, chase, BOA aren't likely to. Sears might, but is basically a one time offer as a last ditch attempt to collect. Citibank likes to just serve you with a civil summons.
        This might work if you owe probably less than $5000. But I think creditors would look at the future ability to pay and decide a judgement would be more beneficial.
        I'll be watching, you may never know when or how, but I'll be there. I am there now....

Comment

Honestly, if your going to file BK, what is the point in settling.

I have never heard of any creditor, even debt purchasers, settling for 10%.

The only purpose to even attempt settlement is if for some reason you cannot file BK. Otherwise, settlement is by far the most costly way to deal with debt. The only people I ever recommend debt settlement to are those with higher incomes who, for whatever reason, cannot qualify for a chapter 7, and would not be good candidates for a chapter 13.

Comment

I also forgot, I thought I read somewhere on here that if you settled, that you had to count the balance as income and that you had to list and pay taxes on that amount.
            I still can't get over the 10% issue, when was that during the depression?
            I'll be watching, you may never know when or how, but I'll be there. I am there now....

Comment

That's right sunshine, if you settle a debt, the creditor will 1099 you on the unpaid portion and you must declare it as income on your taxes.

For example, if you settle a $12,000 debt for $5,000, you will have to pay income tax on $7,000.

Comment

Correct. It counts as income since you aren't legally bankrupt. I read an article on this too that most folks that need help but don't want bk will settle, go about their lives and wham! They owe a few grand on taxes putting them right back where they were.

This will work for some, but not others. No one size fits all in financial management. That's for sure.

To bad the new bk laws didn't amend the tax code capping some of these settlements. It would save some people from filing.
                Last edited by hhou812hh; 10-16-2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

New laws to help the debtor??? Seems like Mr. Bush has pushed that one through to help big business and punish the poor citizen...
                  I'm in N. California ... Thanks for your replies!
                  10/11/05: bought www.form7.com software
                  10/14/05: Filed Ch 7 BK Petition pro se skeleton
                  10/27/05: Filed all schedules, etc.
                  11/17/05: 341 meeting (done!)
                  01/16/06: Last day to file objections
                  01/18/06: Discharged, closed

Bankruptcy LINKS

Comment

Originally posted by quest42
                    New laws to help the debtor??? Seems like Mr. Bush has pushed that one through to help big business and punish the poor citizen...
                    That shouldn't be a surprise... it has always been like that in this country.
                    State: MI
                    Filed: 09/09/05
                    341 Meeting: 10/19/05 - DONE - My Experience
                    Last Day For Objections: 12/19/05
                    Case Closed: 01/13/06 (Friday The 13th!)

Comment

It supposedly is just as bad to settle with the creditors than it is to file bankruptcy. they will put on your credit report that you settled for less than what you owed. I read somewhere it's right up there with a judgement or bankruptcy on your credit report. Plus, it doesn't go away for 7 years either. At least with bankruptcy you are starting fresh and have a chance to rebuild your credit.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X