Cable/Satellite TV on Means Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable/Satellite TV on Means Test

When I add up my utilities and home maintenance on the means test, I come up with an amount that is in excess of the permitted allowance. However, I included satellite TV with that. Should I just include the satellite TV expense on the "Telecommunications" line of the means test? Even if I take out satellite TV from the "additional utilities expenses", I am still above the IRS standard for utilities (because my electric and heating is extremely expensive, and I have documentation).

I just don't want to piss off the UST and put the satellite in the wrong place, or try to justify as additional "utilities" when it should be Telecommunication.

I realize that the means test and IRS standards do not include cable/satellite. However, I was under the impression that this expense has been permitted....just not sure if it is permitted in the Means Test in an amount above the utilities amount permitted by IRS standards.

This is something you are going to need to discuss with your attorney. In our district cable and satellite are technically allowed, but the judge and the trustee view them as luxury expenses. At the suggestion of my attorney, I canceled the satellite service before filing. Not all districts are the same - it happens to be one of the 'quirks' here. This is the kind of information your attorney will know.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Now I did just the opposite of 'startingover08', I didn't have cable tv and had dial up internet. I "beefed up" my expenses while I was "planning" my BK and ordered cable, home phone service and faster internet service. Everything was put under "utilities" on my petition, yes I was over the allowable on some expenses, but my attoreny doesn't think there will be a problem....I'll let you know next week when I return from my 341
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

in most courts, putting satellite TV in telecommuncations would cause an objection. The court would not regard that as a necessary expense that must be incurred so your family can stay in communication.

This is strictly in the context of the means test. A budget can have cable TV on it. It just can't be like $250/mo or something.
        I do not provide legal advice. All I do here is give my two cents as an opinion and at least share some of the facts that I know. Attorneys can provide legal advice, so go ask them or hire one.

Comment

my TV/internet/cellphones are all bundled together through AT&T so I get one bill for all 3. Do I need to itemize this?

Comment

I included satellite and internet as an expense. I put it on Line 2d (Other) on Sched. J for $123. It wasn't questioned.
            Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
            341 Meeting: 1/7/09
            Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
            Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

We put high speed internet and cable tv under utilities. Attorney didn't object and neither did the trustee.
              Ch 7 filed: 3/30
              341: 5/12
              Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X