2009 Taxes Foreit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Taxes Foreit ?

Right before going in for my 341 meeting the trustee's asst came out and handed everyone a form saying that we would basically forfeiting our 2009 tax returns....is that normal or am i mistaken...this was in Phoenix,AZ

Starting a little early this year but yeah it is normal in the 3Q and 4Q of the year on filing to withhold the tax returns. However there are a few things you could do. One is you could adjust your W-2 withholding so that less is taken out in the last half of the year.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply i appreciate any advice i can get on this

ok i will look into having less tax withheld...what other options are available

Comment

This is a great point. Thanks for bringing it up.

So ideally we should adjust are exemptions in order to receive less.
        My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
        posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

I agree with JRScott, except i think it's ALWAYS good to adjust exemptions to lessen the tax refund, not only because a bk trustee would otherwise take it. that's because any refund you ever get means that you had given a loan out to the government with 0% interest for an entire year. now, wouldn't you be better off with that money sitting in your own bank account, earning interest for you??
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Yup, I highly doubt I'll be getting a refund at all next year since I won't have the interest on my mortgage to cover my 8 withholdings on my W-4! I generally have always gotten money back from having the interest credit from my house even with the 8 withholdings...but now.... probably not!! So...suck it trustee.
            BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
            Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

so is that federal only or state tax return also? how do you figure out what your exemption should be? we are a family of 4 and mortgage on our house.... we have always claimed married 0 but right now have it at 10 to get some money for lawyer. thanks everyone
              Retained Attny...6/22/2009
              Filed.................7/28/2009
              341 meeting.......9/04/2009

Comment

Originally posted by scorpios View Post
                so is that federal only or state tax return also? how do you figure out what your exemption should be? we are a family of 4 and mortgage on our house.... we have always claimed married 0 but right now have it at 10 to get some money for lawyer. thanks everyone
                THere is a form on the IRS website that will help you figure it. We withheld for 10 all year last year and we are still getting a refund of $1500. We are a family of 4 also.
                4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

The trustee can only take a percentage of the tax refund in 2009. Specifically it's for the months prior to the month of your filing. We filed in March so at best the trustee could demand is a 1/6 of our 2009 tax refund. We did adjust our withholding to ensure that we will not be receiving a refund. So the question is moot in our case. Raven we are in Southern AZ and it wasn't discussed at all at our 341.
                  Ch 7 filed: 3/30
                  341: 5/12
                  Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

One who has a 2008 Tax Software maybe able to plug estimated earnings and deductions to arrive at estimated 2009 Fed. & State Tax Return. Also, for those like me, who receives SSD & no taxes from the disability, the software comes in handy. I've used TurboTax for years.

With the estimated Fed. & State Tax Returns, I'm going to ask Attorney to use our exemptions for such.

Luci

Comment

so they can take federal tax return how much depends on what month you file..... but what about state return? can they take that too?
                      Retained Attny...6/22/2009
                      Filed.................7/28/2009
                      341 meeting.......9/04/2009

Comment

scorpios, that's a good question! at least in my district, the trustee only wants a copy of the federal form, not the state form. i don't know if that means anything about whether they plan to take the tax refund. i'd think that any asset can be taken by the trustee, so i would think the state refund can be too. but i don't know.
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09

Comment

my lawyer didn't talk about this but she factored our tax return into our monthly income. (divided by 12)

Do they ALWAYS take it? What about in a case of "no distribution"?

Comment

i think "no distribution" means they are not going to bother with any assets whatsoever. you keep everything and the creditor gets nothing.
                            filed ch7 May 09
                            341 june 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X