X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone had this had this happen

I have a car loan and CC with chase.

I will be changing banks soon.

Im going to keep paying the car and stop paying the cc.

If I send them a check im worried they could use my account numbers off the check to withdraw money to pay the cc? Anyone have this happen.

I don't want any creditors to have my bank account info. Should I just pay my car with a money order?

Thanks

IDK if they can do that or not. Money orders are awful cheap though maybe you should just go that route.
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aces67 View Post
      IDK if they can do that or not. Money orders are awful cheap though maybe you should just go that route.
      Forty-five cents sure beats losing a couple hundred bucks. I agree. M.O. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

They can't do it, PERIOD. Chase would need a judgement against you to get at an account held by a 3rd party.

Comment

Washington Mutual is now Chase.
          I used to have a Wamu bank account.

I had a Washington Mutual CC run up to the $7500 limit, and stopped paying. They never went into my bank acount.
          When I do online banking my checking, savings, and credit card all show up on the same page when I log in.

Now they are officially Chase, and I owe Chase/Wamu about $18,000 I thought it might be a good idea to switch banks, for peace of mind if nothing else.

I know your situation is different but they OWNED my bank account and never took money out of it.

Comment

National Banks tend not to have a cross collateralization.

Comment

Originally posted by TBLTZ View Post

If I send them a check im worried they could use my account numbers off the check to withdraw money to pay the cc? Anyone have this happen.

I don't want any creditors to have my bank account info. Should I just pay my car with a money order?

Thanks
              They can't do that.

Comment

I defaulted on my Chase credit card ($27k) and have a checking account with WaMu (now Chase). I was worried that they would "help themself to my checking account", so I switched banks and now bank primarly with Wells Fargo. I still have my WaMu checking account open and have a minimal amount in there, they've never taken any money out....
                May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

i think it's very smart to use money orders only, because if they do get a judgment, having your account number will make it easy for them to garnish.

however, i never heard of a 45 cent money order. i always pay a dollar. still worth it, though.
                  filed ch7 May 09
                  341 june 09
                  discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                    i think it's very smart to use money orders only, because if they do get a judgment, having your account number will make it easy for them to garnish.

however, i never heard of a 45 cent money order. i always pay a dollar. still worth it, though.
                    We have a couple of local liquor stores that sell .25 money orders! I've never had to get one personally....
                    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Thanks
                      Your only options are money orders, cash or Western Union if you don't want creditors to have your banking info.

Personally, I think this strategy simply creates stress for the debtor. These companies don't pursue you like the jdbs do. You're simply a delinquent account to one division of Chase and an account in good standing to another. They don't meet for lunch and conspire against you.
                      Last edited by OhioFiler; 07-05-2009, 04:34 AM. Reason: Sloppy early morning grammar
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Since Chase is such a large bank- i think they would do that. I would just use a money order instead. You can usually get them for free at your bank that you have an account with. That way there is no account number associated with your payment..

Thanks
                        Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                        341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                        Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                        Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

If you are that concerned, just switch banks to a bank where you don't have a credit account. You don't need to go to the hassle of getting MO's and Cash.

They can't garnish your bank account until they sue you and a get a judgment.

Chase's credit card division and loan divisions are practically seperate companies from their banking. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Comment

Thanks for the help..I just wanted make sure if they got a new check from me for my car payment with different account numbers they would try to use that to pay a late cc.

I still might do money orders though.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X