Dishcarge disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dishcarge disaster

I should be happy that we discharged yesterday, but I am freaking out about my car loan. We signed a reaffirmation agreement on it. When I went in a couple weeks ago and paid it, I would have only had one payment left on it which I was going to make this payday. I struggled to do that because I was afraid that my reaffirmation wouldn't go through as my last day for objections had already passed. When I made the payment suddenly my balance increased by over $700. I called the bank and we went round and round because she had given me the balance before and confirmed that it was the balance before, and then said the balance grew because of interest added to it for the last two months. My interest rate was 6% and she kept telling me that 6% WAS $700 for two months on a balance that was $3000 a couple months prior. First of all the figures are absurd, second the explanation didn't make any sense. So, they wouldn't budge at all and kept telling me they would have a loan officer call me back to explain it to me. The loan officers wouldn't take my calls because it was in bankruptcy, and of course they technically couldn't call me.

I called my attorney and she was going to contact them and try to get it resolved. She tried for a couple days and they kept doing the same thing they did to me for weeks and transferring her to a number that went straight to a mailbox. I gave her the direct number to the collections lady I spoke with and she was going to try and get ahold of her.

Now I have dishcarged and my reaffirmation agreement has never been entered in the case. My other reaffirmation was entered but not the one for the car. I am almost $800 short to pay it off right now and I am terrified they are going to come pick it up. When I started the BK we only owed $4000 on a car that was worth $8000. I have paid $3400 of that off and now they are saying we still owe them about $1450. I have no idea what to do now. I am going to go into hysterics if we have thrown away $3400 and they come repo my car. It is current, and in fact it is ahead. Technically no payment is due until October. I don't want to call them and make things worse. I cannot get ahold of my attorney and haven't been able to for a couple days. I ddn't want to NOT call and have them show up to pick up my car. I have no idea how I am going to transport our family of six with no car and no real money for a downpayment. I used everything that might have been available to try and pay off this one. I am going to be even more devastated if they pick up my car and sell it for $5000 more than what is owed on it and we are just out that money.

It is a pretty small credit union a couple states away and most of their employees don't seem to know or understand anything about bankruptcy. They don't actually have a bankrupcty department. I feel like our vehicle situation is a complete disaster right now. My husband needs a car before it gets too cold as well because he can only ride a bike the 10 miles to work for so long in Colorado. I should never have paid all that money on the car without knowing it was going to work out and now I feel like a failure. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do now?

UGH, I am sorry that is so obscenely long.

Comment

I think you're over-reacting. You are not late on your payment thus the CU has no reason to try to repo your car. Take a deep breath and relax.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I know I am probably over reacting. I think that is the culmination of many, many things seemingly going so preposterously wrong for the last several months. I have no idea how to expect the best out of things anymore. I think I need to relearn that skill.

Comment

Since you are discharged, any action by your Attorney may cause you to pay additional billable charges to him/her.

Since the CU is in another state, I would type a letter requesting a Detailed Accounting of Your Loan from beginning of Loan. Request in the letter you also want to know the 'Pay-Off' of the Loan along with the interest compounded amount each day. Hope that makes sense.

I worked for a CU & when I was asked to give a Pay-Off our computer system allowed us to use a 10 day pay off and the software system would also figure the daily compounded interest as a secured Loan is not a revolving account.

Send this letter, Certified Mail & Return Receipt Requested. I don't think the Credit Union will pick up your car. If you are concerned, keep it in your garage. If you don't have a garage, keep it at a friend's house.

Comment

Originally posted by GeG_Lost View Post
            I know I am probably over reacting. I think that is the culmination of many, many things seemingly going so preposterously wrong for the last several months. I have no idea how to expect the best out of things anymore. I think I need to relearn that skill.

I'd recommend starting with understanding the concept of "fresh start" post-bk. If you continue to wallow in the pit of despair why did you even file the bk? Put your mistakes of the past behind you and move forward. You really do have a fresh start.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
              I'd recommend starting with understanding the concept of "fresh start" post-bk. If you continue to wallow in the pit of despair why did you even file the bk? Put your mistakes of the past behind you and move forward. You really do have a fresh start.
              I have to agree here and with everyone above except you. No don't take offense, we understand your stress, been there after all and some worse. How can you get presented your 'hamster dance' (Victory dance) with such a negative attitude? Numbers do not lie. Ask them for a full accounting. It is called an amortization. I agree with above, you will wipe out any savings in panic lawyer fees. Just write them (registered letter please) as to the account information. Calm down, purchase a bottle of wine, have a nice hot bath, and chill out. You are over reacting to an extreme. They cannot take your car without legal recourse and this would take months. Hang in there and your Victory dance will be on hold until you feel better. 'Hub and Mrs.
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

AngelinaCatHub, you have such a big heart. I feel lucky you are out there for all of us.

about lawyer fees, i think this lawyer is doing this as a courtesy and won't charge, else the OP would have been told they were being charged extra.
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09
                discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Yes, the lawyer is doing it no charge. I will however work on a letter.

Thank you all though, for the kick in the tush to relax. Our bankrupcty went really smoothly, but it seems like everything else in our lives has gone horribly wrong lately and as I said I have learned to anticipate the very worst possible scenario from everything. I don't think I am really going to relax until I have the title in hand, but I will do my best.

Comment

Originally posted by GeG_Lost View Post
                    Yes, the lawyer is doing it no charge. I will however work on a letter.

Thank you all though, for the kick in the tush to relax. Our bankrupcty went really smoothly, but it seems like everything else in our lives has gone horribly wrong lately and as I said I have learned to anticipate the very worst possible scenario from everything. I don't think I am really going to relax until I have the title in hand, but I will do my best.

You need to spend more time on here! This place is a great elixer for what ails you!

Comment

"Music and GeG"; thank you so for the kind words. Mrs. just pointed this out to me and I was in tears. (After all, I'm a man and should not do this, right?)

Anyway, here is my Credo. I've mentioned this before on several threads. It was good then and it will be good now:

Happiness is a state of mind. We choose it daily. When we wake up it is a choice to be happy under any circumstance, or we can choose to be depressed.

There are only two kinds of problems in life. (1) Those you can do something about. Act upon them. You have the power to change it. (2) Those you have no control over. Why worry? If you cannot change it, time will.

Matthew 6:26 (King James Version)

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
                      Please look it up and read the whole verse.

Life is meant to be lived. Life is too short, so make the best of it. Quantity of life is not what you need. Quality of life is all important. Smell the roses. Look at butterflies. Enjoy the children/g-children. Enjoy the travel through life as when you arrive at the Station, as we all will, the destination is over. (Google "The Station" R. J. Hastings) http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=002eSR

GBWY 'Hub and Mrs. C
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X