After Discharge Tax Forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Discharge Tax Forms

I am wondering after discharge, What tax forms do I get in NE?. I guess the debt discharged is considered taxable income by IRS. I wonder about cc Debt, HELCO debt, Maortgage Debt.. Any ideas?.

No tax liability on debts discharged in bk. Go to the IRS site and type in form 982 in the search function for all the details.

Comment

if discharged debt were considered taxable income, i'd be immediately bankrupt again! hardly a fresh start!

thank you keepmine for reassuring us
      filed ch7 May 09
      341 june 09
      discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

So, If my wife is co-signer on some HELOC and If I get discharged, I assume she is responsible. And if she decide not to file bankruptcy, one day she will get debt discharge from from the bank automatically and she has to pay tax on that debt dischrged. Am I wrong?.

Comment

why would she get debt discharge automatically?
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09

Comment

because most of the debts in USA are automatically discharged after 5 or 10 years. Sometimes, the bank may issue the discharge even early.

Comment

Originally posted by bkfdrusa View Post
              because most of the debts in USA are automatically discharged after 5 or 10 years. Sometimes, the bank may issue the discharge even early.
              I'm not sure where you picked up this tidbit of info but it is patently false.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

i think bkfdrusa may be thinking about the statute of limitations, or about charge-offs. but charge-offs are not automatic in any sense of the word, and would never happen with a secured debt. and the statute of limitations only means that they have to sue you before a number of years passes (and that number of years does fall in the range 5-10).
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                  i think bkfdrusa may be thinking about the statute of limitations, or about charge-offs. but charge-offs are not automatic in any sense of the word, and would never happen with a secured debt. and the statute of limitations only means that they have to sue you before a number of years passes (and that number of years does fall in the range 5-10).

Not in every state is the SOL 5-10 years. JDB will also pursue very old paper. I still get collection attempts on a debt from 1995.
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

My lawyer told me that. I am talking about unsecured debt only. HELOC become unsecured debt after your house is foreclosed.
                    As long as they do not send me a tax form I am fine. Otherwise, I have to pay taxes on that.

Comment

Originally posted by bkfdrusa View Post
                      My lawyer told me that. I am talking about unsecured debt only. HELOC become unsecured debt after your house is foreclosed.
                      As long as they do not send me a tax form I am fine. Otherwise, I have to pay taxes on that.

You may have misunderstood your attorney.

Comment

or the attorney doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. get a new one!
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                          or the attorney doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. get a new one!
                          Actually, I think bkfdrusa is comingling concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                            Actually, I think bkfdrusa is comingling concepts.
                            still it's the attorney's responsibility to make sure the client actually understands what he is talking about.

therefore, IMHO whether the attorney doesn't know what he is talking about or is just unable to explain it clearly, he should get fired.
                            filed ch7 May 09
                            341 june 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X