Please help me with my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSUTiger32 View Post
    Thanks for explaining things to people. It's called down payments and rental income. Of course I also didn't have a lot of the other debt when I was approved for some of those.

I don't want to distract from the point here but have you not seen the people in California who have $700K houses and they make less than I do? There's no question I was wrong for applying for them all and the bank was just as wrong for giving them all to me. For my role in destroying the economy, I apologize!
    a lot of people got into loans that they couldn't afford the last several years. I don't think CA is as bad as you're implying though. Living there; and working in the financial industry- the people with 700k homes typically bring home 200k+ a year. I know you're just trying to make a point; but if you've known someone in that situation- making 60k and 700k mortgage that is an excetpion. Now, there were a lot of people getting 200-300k homes on that 60k salary though...

And to add this in in general for the discussion... I don't believe that the rentals count as a business. Unless you did them as such on your tax returns you can't retroactivley say that it's "business debt" that i know of. Of course, consult with an attorney. This is the first time i've seen it suggested without the person having a legitimate business. So i would check on that with an attorney before you get your hopes up
    Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
    341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
    Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
    Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by jribe View Post
      a lot of people got into loans that they couldn't afford the last several years. I don't think CA is as bad as you're implying though. Living there; and working in the financial industry- the people with 700k homes typically bring home 200k+ a year. I know you're just trying to make a point; but if you've known someone in that situation- making 60k and 700k mortgage that is an excetpion. Now, there were a lot of people getting 200-300k homes on that 60k salary though...

And to add this in in general for the discussion... I don't believe that the rentals count as a business. Unless you did them as such on your tax returns you can't retroactivley say that it's "business debt" that i know of. Of course, consult with an attorney. This is the first time i've seen it suggested without the person having a legitimate business. So i would check on that with an attorney before you get your hopes up
      Thanks. I am not getting my hopes up, but I still believe I am under the median income for the means test in LA for 4 people which is $66K per year. Also, I think with the debt I have I will have a negative amount left even if I have to do the full means test.

Another question.....my lawyer has questions about the value of my vehicles. Can I use KBB for this and if I do, do I use private party?
      New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Another question.....my lawyer has questions about the value of my vehicles. Can I use KBB for this and if I do, do I use private party?

This varies from district to district. The best bet is to get an independent appraisal. What are your attorney's questions about the value your vehicles?
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          This varies from district to district. The best bet is to get an independent appraisal. What are your attorney's questions about the value your vehicles?
          I am just filling out a "client information sheet" and there is a section on vehicles which asks the year, make, model, loan amount owed, if it is in arrears, the monthly payment and what the value is. I assumed they need a real value for the court, but maybe this is just an informal question to me from her.
          New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

I am just filling out a "client information sheet" and there is a section on vehicles which asks the year, make, model, loan amount owed, if it is in arrears, the monthly payment and what the value is. I assumed they need a real value for the court, but maybe this is just an informal question to me from her.
            Best guess is fine for your attorney.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

OK, I think I am ready for my consultation tomorrow. I have all the forms she asked for filled out and I have numerous spreadsheets with my monthly budget now and what it will look like post-bankruptcy (incase there is any question on if I can afford to keep one car), all of my debts with addresses, account numbers, amount owed and monthly payment amount and I even went through and itemized my paystubs for the last six months breaking it out into gross, taxes, insurance, social security, net, etc. I also have a printout of the KBB value of the autos.

Is there anything else besides taking a valium tonight that I should do? I am already freaking out about doing this and it's just a visit to the lawyer. I am going to be a wreck on the day of the 341.

Suggestions and words to calm me down are greatly appreciated!

Comment

OK, I think I am ready for my consultation tomorrow. I have all the forms she asked for filled out and I have numerous spreadsheets with my monthly budget now and what it will look like post-bankruptcy (incase there is any question on if I can afford to keep one car), all of my debts with addresses, account numbers, amount owed and monthly payment amount and I even went through and itemized my paystubs for the last six months breaking it out into gross, taxes, insurance, social security, net, etc. I also have a printout of the KBB value of the autos.

Is there anything else besides taking a valium tonight that I should do? I am already freaking out about doing this and it's just a visit to the lawyer. I am going to be a wreck on the day of the 341.

Suggestions and words to calm me down are greatly appreciated!
                Sounds like you have done all the work for them! In case you didn't know, the address they want for the creditor is any correspondence address that may be on bill and not the address where payments are processed (unless that is the only address listed anywhere).

Comment

Originally posted by falken View Post
                  Sounds like you have done all the work for them! In case you didn't know, the address they want for the creditor is any correspondence address that may be on bill and not the address where payments are processed (unless that is the only address listed anywhere).
                  OK, thanks! I will check the addresses, I used the addresses off of a credit report I ordered so I hope those will be the correct ones.

Comment

OK, thanks! I will check the addresses, I used the addresses off of a credit report I ordered so I hope those will be the correct ones.
                    Those should be fine!

Comment

I found a means test calculator online and I am doing it just to see. It says for a family of 4 in Louisiana, the six month income threshold is now $33,317 as of March 15, 2009.

My six month income for the six months up to today (thru 7/16) was $31,429 gross. Is that what they use, the gross income?

Of course if you add rental income in I go over the means test threshold, but if I add the rental income in then I get to add the expenses, right? With the rental expenses, I am nearly $2,000 a month in the hole. Do I have anything to worry about?

Comment

[QUOTE=LSUTiger32;299350]I found a means test calculator online and I am doing it just to see. It says for a family of 4 in Louisiana, the six month income threshold is now $33,317 as of March 15, 2009.

My six month income for the six months up to today (thru 7/16) was $31,429 gross. Is that what they use, the gross income?

Of course if you add rental income in I go over the means test threshold, but if I add the rental income in then I get to add the expenses, right? With the rental expenses, I am nearly $2,000 a month in the hole. Do I have anything to worry about?[/QUOTE]

You don't have to worry but you will. You are that type of personality. You are going to hire an attorney (maybe tomorrow, maybe later) so you should relax and wait until you hear your options before you work yourself into a tizzy. Worrying accomplishes nothing but the need for a Valium.

Comment

Good point. This is like setting a nuclear bomb off on my life to me, so it's not going to be easy for me at all.

Comment

Good point. This is like setting a nuclear bomb off on my life to me, so it's not going to be easy for me at all.
                            You made certain business decisions when you chose to invest in real estate. Those were business decisions. You probably used skills you learned at LSU (though I'm sure more skills are learned at Ohio State ) to make those decisions.

Bankruptcy is also a business decision. It may affect you personally but you are still simply making a business decision. Take much of your fear and emotion out of the process as you can and it will go much smoother.

I was more apprehensive as well before we met with an attorney. I was completely at peace after that.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                              You made certain business decisions when you chose to invest in real estate. Those were business decisions. You probably used skills you learned at LSU (though I'm sure more skills are learned at Ohio State ) to make those decisions.

Bankruptcy is also a business decision. It may affect you personally but you are still simply making a business decision. Take much of your fear and emotion out of the process as you can and it will go much smoother.

I was more apprehensive as well before we met with an attorney. I was completely at peace after that.
                              Hey, Ohio State might have us in business decisions, but we have that glass football! ;)

In all seriousness, thanks again. There is no doubt that the real estate aspect of it is forcing my hand on this. I say my, because my wife was totally against me doing the real estate stuff and she was right. I really think I could get out of the rest of it (even though it might take 10 years or so).

I am also hoping that once we get this done tomorrow and lay it all out on table we will feel better about the decision because we will know what to expect and what our specific options are. I just want to get it done and get it in the past, you know?

Comment

Hey, Ohio State might have us in business decisions, but we have that glass football! ;)
                                In all seriousness, thanks again. There is no doubt that the real estate aspect of it is forcing my hand on this. I say my, because my wife was totally against me doing the real estate stuff and she was right. I really think I could get out of the rest of it (even though it might take 10 years or so).

I am also hoping that once we get this done tomorrow and lay it all out on table we will feel better about the decision because we will know what to expect and what our specific options are. I just want to get it done and get it in the past, you know?

That hopelessness you feel now regarding your situation is exactly how I felt during that game!

I hope all is well with you and your wife. I know financial stuff can drive a stake into the heart of a marriage. Best of luck to you both!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X