When Do I Have To Take The Pre BK Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Do I Have To Take The Pre BK Class

I sent in my paperwork to the lawyers, paid the $293 legal fees for them to type up the petition.

Am in the waiting game to recieve the final paperwork to fill out.

I'm confused on the whole pre-bankruptcy class and when to take it. It says 60 days before I file for Bankruptcy...

Does that mean 60 days before we go to the 341 meeting, or the actual court date?

Thanks

You should have your counseling or course before you file It is like a sham way to determine if you are qualified for bk. You won't learn a lot but it is required and you need the certificate I believe before you 341. It's not a big deal. 'Hub

Edit: Your bk lawyer will have several suggestions for the pre bk conference. There is no time limit to my knowledge. (except you have to have it)
    Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 07-18-2009, 06:39 AM. Reason: add on
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

you need the certificate in order to file. you can't file without it unless you can show a serious emergency that required you to file before completing the course.

you need to get the certificate within 180 days before filing. the certificate expires after 180 days.

there will be another course to complete after you file; for that you have until 45 days after the 341.

both courses are painless. in my experience, also boring.
      filed ch7 May 09
      341 june 09
      discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

My lawyer told me to take the second course before the 341 and bring both certificates.
        The more prepared you are the better I think is how they see it.

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilhat View Post
          My lawyer told me to take the second course before the 341 and bring both certificates.
          The more prepared you are the better I think is how they see it.
          what do you mean "bring both certificates"? the first one will have already been filed.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I went straight to a bankruptcy lawyer, told him my situation, paid the $1000 up front to retain him, and then a few weeks later I collected all my documents for them.

Paid the $293 to start the paperwork...But I have not heard anything yet on when to take the class and what is appropiate for the class

Comment

You need that class before you file, that is the pre filing class, your attorney files that with your petition. So if you think you will be filing within 60 days, which check with your attorney first, then go ahead with the class. We used 50-30-20 for our 2nd class, and CCCS for our 1st. Both are approved by the US Trustee, just double check for your state. Our attorney gave us a list of approved programs.

The second class our attorney wanted done before the 341. Both of the classes we did were all online, no phone calls, and our certificates were also printed online.
              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                what do you mean "bring both certificates"? the first one will have already been filed.
                I have a copy of the first, my lawyer has a copy of the first.
                He said when I get the letter in the mail with my 341 date and case number take the second course. So I'll have a copy of that too.

I asked if I should take a copy of the first one, he said it wouldn't hurt, so I'm bringing it. I'm taking one black portfolio case similiar to this one with all sorts of paperwork I probably won't need in it.
                My lawyer said the more prepared you are the better, and that it's good to show you have your information and documents with you and in order even if no one cares.

Comment

thanks for the replies...

I don't know anything about the process. I don't want to mess this up

Comment

Originally posted by nick09 View Post
                    thanks for the replies...

I don't know anything about the process. I don't want to mess this up
                    That's why you hired an attorney.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

you can take the course as late as the day of filing, just as long as it before the filing, give yourself a few days ahead just in case
                      Filed Aug 28 2009
                      341 Oct 2 2009-Asset Case
                      Discharged Dec 16 2009
                      Waiting for tax return and asset buy back to close

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X