Update on Replacing our Vehicle Post-341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on Replacing our Vehicle Post-341

Friday my DH went to a dealership I had read about online to ask about a couple vehicles they had for sale.

We had 2k as a down payment, but would need to finance the remaining 2k or so. The vehicles we wanted were no longer available but the dealer showed my DH a 97 Mercury Villager. It was ok. Running well. Dirty. No bells and whistles. Bench seating even in the 2nd row. But we said, "beggars can't be choosers".

I have been concerned about getting something before our SUV is repo'd, and this minivan seemed to be the answer. It was only $3995.

I ran to the bank with all 4 kids in tow to get the down payment cash before the bank closed for the weekend. The dealer assured my DH that our bk was no problem.

As it turned out, it WAS a problem.

I was mistakenly under the impression that it was ok to get financing prior to discharge as long as it was after the 341. The dealership didn't want to finance us until we got a discharge letter or until they could get ahold of someone in regards to our bk.

Prompted by a helpful person on this forum, I started looking at CraigsList. I've looked before, but we never had the cash and I really thought our meager cash offering wouldn't do us any good.

We drove to Austin today to look at a few vehicles.

At the end of the day, we drove home a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan, paid for in CASH. It's not perfect -- it needs a paint job and there's a dent or two, but it's power everything and so spacious. Runs fantastic.

Having a vehicle that is paid for is a dream come true.

I am so happy to be rid of the anxiety and worry I had regarding our repo. I was so afraid we would end up on foot with four kids.

Our minivan cost us $1800. Well under kbb. We plan to set aside what we would have made in car payments and then in a year or two sell the minivan and use the proceeds plus the auto payment savings to buy something a little newer.

I think if we keep doing that, we should be able to buy a late model vehicle in cash in a few years. How exciting! Love owning something outright!
    Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
    341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Glad you found something that can work.

But yes from filing to discharge you cannot take on new debt without the trustee's approval, and the dealer was probably aware of that and making sure everything was kosher , but in the end you found a better deal which is good ;)
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I know I had read that before (having to get trustee's approval) but for some reason I didn't remember it. D'oh!

I am so happy things worked out as they did though. Much better deal for us and I love that we have no payments. Wonderful!!

Comment

Congratulations...it must feel great to own something and not have to pay payments.
        I've only bought 2 cars, but both were new. My car now is 6 yrs old and hopefully will last for a while longer because buying new at this point is not going to be an option.
        I know buying a used car with cash is the much smarter option so probably the way I'll have to do it the next car around.

Comment

Pride of ownership is a luxury. When I purchased my new Jetta, I was happy and pleased with the car. Four years later, I was even more pleased sending the last payment. The car not as shiny, some minor things to fix that I haven't gotten to, but, IT'S MINE, ALL MINE!! 'Hub

When you see the next door neighbor coming home with a new car, think, you have a feature on your car that he does not. A clear Title.
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Congrats to you!!! The most important things are that it runs good and it's paid for!!
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Congrats. We are NEVER paying a payment on anything again except a house some day. We bought a car with cash a while back, while still fighting this credit mess, and it was the best feeling EVER!!! It is not an awesome new car, but after reading Dave Ramsey and such, I will never drive a new car again...get one at least 2 years old and let someone else pay the interest and depreciation!

Cash is king. I really believe that now. Used to think that debt was a tool to get ahead, yeah, I believed that....explains our current mess that is soon to be gone!!!

Comment

Awesome! So glad you found something that works for you and your family and that you have no payment.
                07/10/09 Filed Chapter 7
                08/10/09 341
                10/16/09 Discharged
                02/01/10 Closed

Comment

Thanks everyone! Like many of you, I hope we never finance anything beyond a house again. It's not that we can't control ourselves to finance (although I still wouldn't trust myself with a cc at this point) but just the absolute waste of money that comes with financing.

Comment

Congrats!

This is what is considered "living within your means". Don't it feel GREAT!!!

Have a blessed Sunday and again congrats....
                    07/24/09 -- Filed Chapter 7
                    09/22/09 -- 341 Meeting
                    09/25/09 -- Pacer States "No Assets"
                    11/25/09 --DISCHARGED!!!!!!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X