Question about means test and tax refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about means test and tax refund

Do I include my tax refund in calculating my last 6 months income? If so, do I wait until 6 months after the refund was deposited to not include it? thanks!
    Once you lose everything you're free to do anything.
    Filed 10/06/2009
    341 11/12/2009
    Discharged 1/15/2010

I think the answer varies from District/State. In our District, it is not included as income. However, we are supposed to spend it and keep receipts. If it is included in income in your District/State, then yes it would be counted in your Means Test.

If the amount takes you over your State Median, you can still file Chapter 7.
    However, being over the median may cause scrutiny by the UST. If I were in your shoes, I would wait until if falls off the 6 month look back period for Income.

You can google your city,state and then type bankruptcy and your District website should be at the top. Our district doesn't list every bankruptcy, but it does lists Bankruptcy opinions and orders from the Judges.

I think I would ask your Attorney if it is included as Income.

Comment

Thanks, I am in Florida if anyone knows. off to googling!
      Filed 10/06/2009
      341 11/12/2009
      Discharged 1/15/2010

Comment

Originally posted by limage View Post
        Thanks, I am in Florida if anyone knows. off to googling!
        I have not filed yet, but attorney says that it is not included as income and did not include it when calculating my income.
        I am in the Southern District.
        Southern District of Florida
        Filed Ch 7 - 8/6/09 341 - 9/14/09
        Report of No Distribution - 9/18/09
        DISCHARGE ! 11/23/09 Closed 12/8/09

Comment

I live in michigan and my lawyer included it as monthly income

Comment

I think in nearly all states/districts, it is not included as income. However, I can think of at least one member whose district\UST did force them to include as income
            Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
            341 Meeting - 08/13/08
            DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
            CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

I can't see how a TT can force a petitioner to include a tax refund as income for the means test. It's legally incorrect as the tax refund is already included in the petitioner's gross income.

Schedule I is a different matter as it calculated NET income which is after taxes. It is reasonable for the TT to exclude a portion of a tax refund from line 4.a if the petitioner is using the same tax withholding rate that generated the refund in the prior year.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I checked with my attorney's paralegal- she said they only look at income, but that I would need to include my 08 tax returns.

I am much relieved. My tax return would have sent me over the median.
                Filed 10/06/2009
                341 11/12/2009
                Discharged 1/15/2010

Comment

Originally posted by doingpoorly View Post
                  I have not filed yet, but attorney says that it is not included as income and did not include it when calculating my income.
                  I am in the Southern District.
                  Us too. Also in the southern district. Our atty asked for all of our tax returns for the past 3 years. It's totally separate.

Comment

Originally posted by bankruptsee View Post
                    I live in michigan and my lawyer included it as monthly income
                    I am also in MI and my attorney said it does not count as income.

Hmmmmm......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X