Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Process Starts

Hello Everyone,

I am getting close to filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy. I met with a lawyer today and felt comfortable with him and his office. The cost is going to be $1500 for the lawyer and $299 for the filing.

I got myself in a bad situation with $75k in credit card debt and $10k student loan. I own no property (live with parents) and no car-basically no assets. I have no employment for the past couple of years and have basically been living off my credit cards.

I am glad I found this forum last night. I hope to get some support, find some answers, and share my bankruptcy experience here.

A couple quick questions?

Has anyone here filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy without a lawyer?

Is the cost of my lawyer about average?

Thanks in advance.

I do see light at the end of the tunnel!

there is a relatively recent thread on how much people paid their lawyer. the range looks like around 1000 to 2500 plus filing fee in most cases. so your is about average in general.

yes, there have been pro se people here on this forum. ("pro se" means without a lawyer). if you search under pro se you'll find some info.

there is always light at the end of the tunnel, but we just can't always see it...
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Comment

My lawyer charged me up front $3000!!

Comment

This forum is a great thing. Glad you found it. Awesome support
          Filed Aug 28 2009
          341 Oct 2 2009-Asset Case
          Discharged Dec 16 2009
          Waiting for tax return and asset buy back to close

Comment

i was thinking of going with a firm i feel comfortable with that wanted 3000, which seems like a lot. but this is so scary and so much money is on the line. am i crazy to do that? i had some other consultations but felt like they were going to go 13 in the end, which i dont want.

Comment

moneypenny, go with your gut. if you are comfy with this firm then go for it, especially if you feel scared. you will have peace of mind knowing you have a firm that you trust, and that's priceless.
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganGuy View Post
                Hello Everyone,

I am getting close to filing for chapter 7 bankruptcy. I met with a lawyer today and felt comfortable with him and his office. The cost is going to be $1500 for the lawyer and $299 for the filing.

I got myself in a bad situation with $75k in credit card debt and $10k student loan. I own no property (live with parents) and no car-basically no assets. I have no employment for the past couple of years and have basically been living off my credit cards.

I am glad I found this forum last night. I hope to get some support, find some answers, and share my bankruptcy experience here.

A couple quick questions?

Has anyone here filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy without a lawyer?

Is the cost of my lawyer about average?

Thanks in advance.

I do see light at the end of the tunnel!
                If you are not employed, I would not file BK Yet! Because it will not solve your financial needs. You need a job with medical insurance.

Let's say you file BK next month and the following month you get side swiped by another car. The Jaws of Life are needed to get you out of your vehicle and you spend 3-6 mths in the hospital. Already filed BK & can't file again until 8-10 yrs (??) - so you will be stuck with paying those medical bills.

We start planning our bankruptcy last Sept. Waiting until some monthly income feel off in Feb. So will be filing on 9/30/09 using Mar-Aug. Income.

Don't rush this Bankruptcy. Phone calls getting to ya? Just don't answer the phone. I've talked to our Credit Card Cos. at least twice. Most of ours are in the hand of Collection Agencies. Yea, gotten letter from them and some Attorney's threatening but no summons.

I've kinna made a game out of the phone calls. I google the number from my caller id and write the date & number on this pad.

Luci

Comment

My attorney normally charges $4,000 for a BK 7, but charged me $2,500 because of my referral source. I am in Michigan, as well, in the western district.

After reading your post, though, I have a question: are you earning any income? If you are, yet are living with your parents and have no real monthly expenses, you could have a problem with having too much monthly disposable income.
                  CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
                  341 Meeting 4/7/2009
                  Discharged 7/10/2009
                  Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

What does a person who lives with his parents and hasn't had a job in a couple years do all day? Just curious, not judging.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I'm in Michigan as well. I just paid my attorney $1500.00 for a 7.

Comment

Found another Lawyer

I am more comfortable with the lawyer that I met today than the previous lawyer I met earlier in the week. The cost of this lawyer is less too-$1309

I just now have to get my documentation in order and also take the credit counseling. Hopefully, I can knock it out over the weekend and drop it off to my lawyer on Monday.

I am also going to attend a debtors anonymous meeting tonight in Michigan. I have made some huge mistakes with my credit in the past. I am interested in seeing how the meeting goes and what I can learn from it?

Thanks for your support.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X