Listing an employer as a creditor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listing an employer as a creditor

From what I've read, one's employer can't fire someone for filing for bankruptcy. What I'm wondering is if this law extends to people who have to list their employer as a creditor in their petition. Does anyone know how that works?

Originally posted by pdxgrrrl View Post
    From what I've read, one's employer can't fire someone for filing for bankruptcy. What I'm wondering is if this law extends to people who have to list their employer as a creditor in their petition. Does anyone know how that works?
    Be careful about bking a debt to an employer. No, they can't fire you for filing bk but, you can sure be the victum of a layoff, RIF or whatever term they use to let people go when the economy tanks. Don't give 'em a reason to let you go if you can avoid it.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I am employed by a creditor and I am including the debt in my BK. By law they can't fire you because of this, I just hope that is true! pdxgrrrl, have you filed already? Did you include them? If so, how did it go?

Comment

There is a huge thread from this site about the employer/employee issue regarding filing BK and whether to be hired, being kept on the payroll, fired or laid off. Personally, I feel an employer should not fire a person filing for BK--should be more weighted especially from the criminal background or poses a society danger to the company like going berserk with a gun or something. Like others stated from the OP's thread, it is not a good idea to list the employer in your bk petition. It irks me to no end when an employer goes "ohhh he (she) bked? There is your pink slip"
        Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
        Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Don't you HAVE to list ALL creditors though?
          Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
          Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
          Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
          341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

You have to list all creditors with a balance, yes.

Comment

I listed my employer in my BK. I told them that I would pay them what I owed after I was discharged. My lawwyers said to include them and work out payment after. They did not have a problem with it. It is a small company and that may be why they were ok with it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X