keeping cc post bk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping cc post bk???

has ANYONE had any luck in keeping a cc after a 7bk??? with or without a balance?

I am two weeks post-discharge and I have a few CCs that are still open. None of them were included in my BK (all had zero balances) and all but one are revolving store accounts. The CCs that are still open have all lowered my limits, and here is what stayed open:

QVC - $100 limit
    Nordstrom - $100 limit
    Neiman Marcus - unknown limit
    Macy's store account - $500 limit
    Macy's VISA - $500 limit

I found out earlier in the week that my Macy's Visa card had never been activated until now. When I called and talked to a CS representative, she activated the card for use and confirmed that both of my Macy's accounts were still active and open, available for use. So, for purposes of rebuilding my credit, I set up my cable bill to automatically be paid by my Macy's Visa so I will have a recurring charge and payment every month.

Also, it should be noted from previous threads on this topic that for many people who had CCs that appeared to have have survived a BK, those accounts have been randomly closed, sometimes years down the road. I think this is just a situation where YMMV.
    CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
    341 Meeting 4/7/2009
    Discharged 7/10/2009
    Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Originally posted by junker View Post
      has ANYONE had any luck in keeping a cc after a 7bk??? with or without a balance?
      2 here

Mastercard
      and
      Victorias secret
      Don't take my word for it, I'm just sayin'

Comment

I was wondering about that too! When we opened our credit union account before the BK, they gave us a Visa with a $5K line of credit on it. Have not touched it, but will have to see if they take it. Would sure be nice if they didn't, but if they do, they do!

We had gas cards with zero balances, and they turned those off about a week ago, even though I had always paid the balance in full. My attorney said that's because they are usually owned by Citi. Oh well, cash for gas is okay too!
        Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
        341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
        Discharged: 11/30/2009
        Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

cap one put my card with zero bal(i didnt file with it) on hold, lowered my limit to $500, raised rate to 29.99%. they said to call after closing(their term) and they would remove hold. do you think they mean discharged or actually closed? also a pep-boys card seems to have made it through. i have a zero macy's card also, never heard from them, maybe its still open.

Comment

a couple of cards seem to be completely unaware of the bk. they were not IIB, as they were 0 balance.

another card seems to have been put on hold.
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

We don't have a card now. We cut all of them up. We did that long ago. Cards scare me, so I don't have one, and I don't want one.

I doubt many survive and I have heard of them closing accts because you filed. So I guess maybe if you do some checking you can find out if any are open. Be careful though, keep cards with low credit limits.
              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

I have two accounts still open - Bill me Later and Newegg.com. Every other account is closed.
                Last edited by mike258; 07-24-2009, 06:45 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X