top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can/should I tell creditors I will be filing BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can/should I tell creditors I will be filing BK?

We will be filing BK in a few months. We have met with -- but not yet retained -- a lawyer. I have a medical debt (I posted a different question about the same debt already) that granted my a 25% write off of my bills. The problem is that even though they gave me a letter stating I have the 25 write off and it's good for one year (dated March 2009) they have not written anything off. I call every month and they give me song and dance about why it's not written off (one person said it was because insurance hadn't paid yet (they had), another said it was because it was related to a car accident (it wasn't), another said it get written off when I pay my part). However, the bigger issue is that new medical visits get added on to the bill and I make partial monthly payments, so I can't keep track of what I owe and what is part of their stupid 25%.

I really want to tell them I am going to be filig BK and will be happy to include their stupid bills in it, or they can write off the 25% and help me out for once!!

So I wouldn't really say it that way, but can I mention BK so that they understand the gravity of my situation and perhaps respect that I am doing all I can to pay them, but they need to write off the part they told me (in wiriting!) that they would? This is so stressful!!

Hopeless...

I would suggest that you not tell them. Keep a seperate paper with the figuers of you debt minus the 25% and deduct your payments from that to keep a running total for yourself. If you tell them you are filing BK, they might run and might send you to collections, file a lawsuit for the balance now, or just might find a way to make your life stressful until you file. Make your "small" payments until you can file. You will have to include them, so you are throwing good money after bad to pay this debt.

Hope that helps.

BTW, just filed Friday a very stressful 4 months until we could get our ducks in order to do it.

BooBoo

Comment

All right, I will have to go back and try to figure out what I owe them. It's hard since they keep adding new charges, minus my payments, and the 25% that is supposed to come off. What a mess!

Comment

Make out a Spreadsheet using a software program. Most PC's come with some kind of spreadsheet. Start from the beginning. If they don't list the % of interest being charged & specifics on late charges, call them and ask how they arrive at those figures.

If this medical location is within your normal driving distance, I would take that letter and demand to see someone in billing and get it corrected that day. If they say the person who mails the statements is not in (vacation, sick or whatever) demand to see her/his supervisor.
        I'm with the one who stated since you cannot seem to get this resolved, I would found another doctor & include the whole amount of the bill in your BK when you file. Go get copies of your records before you change doctors.

Luci

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X