Uh oh - Can't find mortgage paperwork!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oh - Can't find mortgage paperwork!

So, I've been scouring the house for days trying to find all of my original mortgage paperwork, and I can't find it! ARGH!! What do I do? Who do I contact to get copies of the original stuff? My mortgage has been sold a couple of times, so my current lender wouldn't have the original stuff, I'm assuming.

Any ideas as to where to find duplicate copies of all the papers? I'm planning to keep the house.

KBB
    Filed - 9/28/09
    341 - 11/20/09
    Last Day to Object - 1/19/10
    My BK blog: http://forgiveusourdebts.wordpress.com

I believe the Register of Deeds for your county, would have a copy of the mortgage papers.

I don't know how that all works once a mortgage is sold, but a copy of the original docs would be available.

Best of luck
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

You can ususally download a copy of the mortgage on the county website.
      If you need a copy of the closing statement and other documents contact the title company or attorney that closed your transaction. Most of them keep copies of the documents (electronic files).

When the mortgage is sold, the terms are the same. So the only thing you may want to have is a recent statement from the current mortgage servicer.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

For what its worth...

Mortgage copies were in the list of required documents from our lawyer as well. When I told the paralegal I could not find them she said no problem as we were surrendering the house.
        Filed ch.7 July 6
        341 Aug 13 2009
        Discharged Oct 23 2009

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I checked and I can download at least some of the documents from the Register of Deeds website! I'll check with the title company for the closing documents!

Sleepy - As we are keeping the house, I'm assuming they will actually want the papers.

KBB
          Filed - 9/28/09
          341 - 11/20/09
          Last Day to Object - 1/19/10
          My BK blog: http://forgiveusourdebts.wordpress.com

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X