Discharge and closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge and closed?

I see many posts about being discharged. I received an email from my lawyer today that we were discharged 8/11. 91 days after my 341 meeting. Aren't we officially done when it is closed? What does closed mean?

the discharge is the important thing. hamsters coming your way!

you are officially discharged. the closing is only a clerical thing in a no-asset case.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Congratulations

Discharge is where you are discharged from your debt.

Close is a mainly administrative function that closes out the case. Some districts discharge/close no asset cases at same time, some don't. If you are an asset case close can occur a long time after discharge depending on the assets involved.
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Gratz!
        Filed 5/12/09
        341 6/11/09
        discharged 8/11/09
        Closed 8/14/09

Comment

Congratulations on your discharge and best of luck in your new fresh start.
          Filed Chapter 7: 06/29/2009 , 341 Meeting: 08/12 , Discharged: 10/16, Closed: 10/18

Comment

The close in an asset case

I am surrendering a car and an RV to the trustee. They are paid for. My discharge is supposed to be Sept 18, 2009. While I am to buy back the vehicle I am keeping on Sept 15, the trustee has not asked for the other vehicles yet. During the time between discharge and close, while the vehicles are being sold by the trustee, can other issues arise i.e. the value of my home, etc? While there was no equity at date of filing and an appraisal has not been requested, the value is rising on Zillow.
            Last edited by want2save; 08-14-2009, 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The closed is important to some companies. In our case Toyota would still not talk to us about resuming statements and such until the case was closed.
              But the closing follows pretty quick, see our dates below.

Comment

Originally posted by want2save View Post
                I am surrendering a car and an RV to the trustee. They are paid for.
                I felt awful after seeing this. I've seen a lot of posts of people surrendering their vehicles that were all upside down. Yours is the very first post I have stumbled upon where you actually have things paid off that are included in a Chapter 7.

I usually see a lot of people going into a Chapter 13 to keep their stuff. At least this will all be behind you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Surrending Vehicles

Thank you! I could not file Chapter 13 as now my only income is social security. The loss of the vehicles is the price I pay for my fresh start and peace of mind, so well worth it. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by want2save View Post
                    Thank you! I could not file Chapter 13 as now my only income is social security. The loss of the vehicles is the price I pay for my fresh start and peace of mind, so well worth it. :-)
                    Man, that's even MORE awful!

How will you get around?

They should have some kind of donation fund to help people that are in this position. You can't buy any decent vehicle living on that kind of income alone. Certainly no cash deals on a $5,000+ vehicle. My father is living on social security. I think he barely makes $1500-1800/mo.

Comment

Originally posted by flnybk View Post
                      I see many posts about being discharged. I received an email from my lawyer today that we were discharged 8/11. 91 days after my 341 meeting. Aren't we officially done when it is closed? What does closed mean?
                      Hi flnybk: The others are right about the Discharge. That is the important thing. Should also get a paper notice in the mail. It will also be on PACER if you have a PACER account.

Now.... on to the important things.......CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You are done and on your way to your NEW START!

Here we go:

"To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X