No announcement yet.

Awkward Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the documentation at the time correct looking back the year before it was provided?

If so there is nothing to worry about, a loss of income in these times won't hardly bat the trustees eye I don't think.

However if that documentation at the time was incorrect and you knew it was incorrect at the time then yes as someone says they could claim fraud and either try to get your bankruptcy thrown out or object to the discharge of that debt.

I agree sitting down with the hubby's CPA and going through things so that you understand them is for your benefit especially if the Trustee asks you any questions during the 341 (or a possible 2004 if there are objections).

Have you and your husband spoke to your lawyer about this?
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Here is an interesting HELOC dispute:

This blog post addresses the case:

This is a big deal, and will no doubt strike real fear in the hearts of stated-income lenders everywhere. Our own Uncle Festus sent me this ...
      *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

The OP's concern about the IRS leads me to believe they provided 1040's that were false and is worried the IRS may somehow find out and choose to audit them.

The timeframe between when you acquired the mortgage and you stop paying on it would be important as well, in my opinion.

I would definitely meet with an attorney asap.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

In the document:

"The Guidelines stated that, for a borrower who was employed, the
          only requirement was verification of employment, not verification of
          income. However, the Guidelines stated that a third party vendor
          would evaluate the reasonableness of the stated income based on job
          type, tenure, and geographical location among other things. No
          evidence was presented that a third party vendor ever evaluated
          Case."

Basically, on a "stated income" loan the underwriters are supposed to look at the job description and salary and evaluate whether the income sounds reasonable. The bank in the case above apparently didn't do that, or the underwriter screwed up and didn't document the evaluation. As long as the bank follows their normal business practices or industry standard for this evaluation, then they are making due diligence. They also screwed up because the guidelines for this particular loan required a letter from a CPA verifying the existence of a business (not the income, just that the business exists). The letter was in the loan file, but didn't have the CPA's signature. Again, the underwriter/lender screwed up. That's why the court decided in favor of the debtor in the case above. You can't count on a lender's screwup though. The debtors just got lucky.

And the OP hasn't really told us what type of loan this is so we don't know what kind of verification the bank did or was supposed to do. The onus is NOT on the bank to verify income on a stated income loan. They do have to follow other guidelines though.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
            The OP's concern about the IRS leads me to believe they provided 1040's that were false and is worried the IRS may somehow find out and choose to audit them.

The timeframe between when you acquired the mortgage and you stop paying on it would be important as well, in my opinion.

I would definitely meet with an attorney asap.
            not necessarily - the OP may have filed accurate tax returns but is worried that the IRS would end up seeing the income-inflated mortgage application and thinking that it's the mortgage application that's accurate and not the tax returns. only the OP knows...
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X