Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy and Marriage

hello everyone,

I live in Nevada and may marry a fine lady who unfortunately has a lot of debt that I will not be able to pay.

I believe that since the debt has been incurred before we are married I will not be responsible for it. We live in a community property state.

I suspect i maybe hounded by collectors trying to get me to pay the bills but that is ok.

Can anyone tell me will her debt harm my credit standing? Will my credit report become comingled with hers and do a lot of damage if later on I wanted to buy a home or car?

Thanks,

Why doesn't she file BK before you guys get hitched?
    7-2-2009 Filed
    8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
    10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

If you wish to marry this lady and she has alot of debt and that you are concerned about your credit standing, I would advise you to talk with her about everything how to deal with her debt before getting married. Perhaps you two should talk to a financial advisor and come up with the best solution that is favorable for both of you and your credit standing protected and how her debt is going to be handled. Is she considering to file BK either 7 or 13? I wish you the best!
      Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
      Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

My 'Hub and I had to attend a pre-marriage counseling session before we could get married in my church. The major point of the several speakers that we saw, was that the MAJOR reason for marriages breaking up is dealing with MONEY, or rather, how the couple does NOT deal with it and finances. Not infidelity, or a host of other issues; it is BUDGETING and HANDLING MONEY.

You are considering marrying a woman who you admit has not handled finances well before you came along. Please do not consider cleaning up HER debt for her. She won't learn a thing. She will be only using you as her 'meal ticket' and will continue her ways.

She needs to file BK and clean up her financial act BEFORE you get married.

Take the rose-colored 'googly-eyed' ga-ga glasses off and get to marriage and credit counseling before this goes any further.

My best~~~
        Last edited by AngelinaCat; 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          My 'Hub and I had to attend a pre-marriage counseling session before we could get married in my church. The major point of the several speakers that we saw, was that the MAJOR reason for marriages breaking up is dealing with MONEY, or rather, how the couple does NOT deal with it and finances. Not infidelity, or a host of other issues; it is BUDGETING and HANDLING MONEY.
          Could not have said it better. Get some financial and pre-marriage counseling before you get married.
          New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Since it is a community property state, I would advise she file bankruptcy prior to the marriage with the marriage occurring sometime after the 341 meeting....mostly to avoid that nasty Has anything change? Oh I got married.....oh well how much does he make.....
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I agree with the others - if her debt is overwhelming and she can not take care of it herself, then postpone the marriage until both of you receive the above mentioned financial counseling. If she can payoff her debt without filing, great - get that plan in the works before getting married. If she needs to file BK, then definately have her file before you marry. You would be better off starting your new married life with a clean slate and no financial baggage from 'before'.
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

She puts up with me

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post

You are considering marrying a woman who you admit has not handled finances well before you came along. Please do not consider cleaning up HER debt for her. She won't learn a thing. She will be only using you as her 'meal ticket' and will continue her ways.

She needs to file BK and clean up her financial act BEFORE you get married.

Take the rose-colored 'googly-eyed' ga-ga glasses off and get to marriage and credit counseling before this goes any further.

My best~~~
                Yes this was a good course. Twenty years later, the stupids set into 'Hub with some pithing contests with a guy who could outspend me. Cost us our retirement funds (except a Trust we set up to protect such a thing).

Remember: Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  Yes this was a good course. Twenty years later, the stupids set into 'Hub with some pithing contests with a guy who could outspend me. Cost us our retirement funds (except a Trust we set up to protect such a thing).

Remember: Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

'Hub
                  I consider my wife my conscience, my rock and my rudder. Without her I would be leading an immoral life, wandering aimlessly out of control.

I consider guys like you and me quite lucky!
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                    I consider my wife my conscience, my rock and my rudder. Without her I would be leading an immoral life, wandering aimlessly out of control.

I consider guys like you and me quite lucky!
                    Yes we both are fortunate to have a good woman. Our host OP is fortunate as well and if he loves his fiance' as we do our wives, he will teach and learn. Mrs. C. hated computers, I could not write a proper sentence. I taught her computers as it was my career at that time, she taught me writing abilities as she is a teacher and has a Master in Literary Science. So we have a give and take attitude that compliments each other. There has never been a competitive attitude that I have seen in other marriages.

Our subject OP can diplomatically help his lady, and they will both benefit from a loving understanding. He has to convince her that before a successful marriage occurs, business must be handled as bk is a business decision and not a pride breaker. Only my opinion. 'Hub
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by down @ out View Post
                      hello everyone,

I live in Nevada and may marry a fine lady who unfortunately has a lot of debt that I will not be able to pay.

I believe that since the debt has been incurred before we are married I will not be responsible for it. We live in a community property state.

I suspect i maybe hounded by collectors trying to get me to pay the bills but that is ok.

Can anyone tell me will her debt harm my credit standing? Will my credit report become comingled with hers and do a lot of damage if later on I wanted to buy a home or car?

Thanks,
                      What was the answer to this questions?

My understanding is, Please correct if im wrong.......

What ever is acquired before the marriage is her's. Nothing is jointly? After marriage you do anything jointly then of course will affect you across the board.

Now if you get married, Does that make you legally responsible for her debt acquired before marriage? Maybe morally because you would then be married. Then anything you sign as a married couple or together, you would then be responsible for legally i would think.
                      Filed August 15th 2008
                      Discharged:12/08/2008
                      Closed: 2/23/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X