Question on monthly expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on monthly expenses

I am sitting down to see what our monthly expenses are before I go to see the lawyer to find out if after we file bankruptcy (if we are approved) if we can afford all our expenses that are left.

I know that you have to sit down on figure out your expenses but how do you do it if it fluctuates? Like sometimes I spend more on groceries or less if I use coupons, and sometimes me heat/electric is more/less depending on the season.

Also, I recieve student loans and sometimes I have extra money left that I can keep for expenses does this money count as income?

I am just wondering if I should put the high amounts to show how much we can possibly spend or put the lower amount to show that we would be able to pay what bills are left if our credit cards are out of the equasion?

Thanks!

Since the trustee looks back at the average of six months of expenses, that's what I did. Just get your bank statements, make a spreadship and list everything out. There are links to schedules J and I forms in this forum (I forget which is which, but look at both). From there, you can decide what information you need to gather. Also, check out the federal guidelines to see what an average family of the same size in your state usually uses. Links are provided in the Ch. 7 section of the forum.

My attorney (true confession, I haven't retained him yet, but will soon) faxed me all schedules and etc., so I had everything filled out prior to our initial consultation. He checked everything over and prompted me as to some expenses that I may have missed. For example, the average family of two spends xx amount on toiletries, do you think you fall within the average range? Your attorney will make sure you don't forget anything.

That being said, just because an average family uses xxx amount in a category doesn't mean you should list it, especially if it is completely out of the range of your true expenditures. You have to be able to back your numbers up with evidence if the trustee asks, so be honest. There are some categories where people spend more than the federal guidelines. For example, utilities can run higher than norms depending on your circumstance. My understanding is that these higher expenses can be allowed if you have evidence to support the expenditures. Keep your receipts!

Look at previous posts where people ask for advice about their Schedule Js. It's pretty revealing.

Comment

For expenses that fluctuate, my attorney had me use a year cost. Like heating (clearly we don't heat in the summer). I called my gas company and got the cost for the entire previous year. (2500.00) and divided it by 12 to get the average monthly heating cost of 208.50. I did the same with Electric. As for food, all I could do was use a "typical" months amount.

Some expenses will always change, but averages is what I used as best as I could.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X