Texas attorney fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas attorney fees?

Just wondering what any of you here from TX might have paid your attorneys for your Ch. 7 (and if any of you have a good attorney recommendation for me).

I met with one attorney I liked a lot; their fee is $2200 - I can pay it out over 6 months, but they won't file with the court until it's paid in full. Of the few firms that will state their prices over the phone or on the internet, I'm seeing in the $1700-3000 range; saw one with a flat fee of $700 for a Ch 7 (not including filing fees or required credit courses) but the fact that they are so low worries me... should it?

BTW, I'm in N. Texas (DFW area). The one atty I met with said I'm definitely qualified to file a 7 due to limited income over the past 6 months and no income at present... need to do something pretty quickly as I'm 1.5 months behind on car and don't want to risk it getting repo'd. With zero income (lost job - unemployment claim pending) I have no way to come up with $2200! No living family members from whom to borrow. Nothing left to sell... already did all that trying to stay afloat the first time I was unemployed a few months ago!
    Ch. 7 filed: 11/6/09
    341 held: 12/7/09
    DISCHARGED 2/10/10!!
    unemployed since 4/09

I think all of our attorney fee's came out to be $2900. We're here in the DFW area as well. We filed on 7/17/09 and had our 341 last Friday. I know it's allot of money to come up with. We could not have done it without assistance from our family.

Comment

Hi Blerg,
      I have an attorney who will set you up on a repayment plan to pay your attorney fees over a 12 mth period. For me, he only required the mandated $299 filing fee and I had to get the credit counseling handled. He does ACH withdrawals from my account of $125.00 bi-weekly (payday) to cover his fees. My case is filed and my 341 is scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by blerg View Post
        Just wondering what any of you here from TX might have paid your attorneys for your Ch. 7 (and if any of you have a good attorney recommendation for me).

I met with one attorney I liked a lot; their fee is $2200 - I can pay it out over 6 months, but they won't file with the court until it's paid in full. Of the few firms that will state their prices over the phone or on the internet, I'm seeing in the $1700-3000 range; saw one with a flat fee of $700 for a Ch 7 (not including filing fees or required credit courses) but the fact that they are so low worries me... should it?

BTW, I'm in N. Texas (DFW area). The one atty I met with said I'm definitely qualified to file a 7 due to limited income over the past 6 months and no income at present... need to do something pretty quickly as I'm 1.5 months behind on car and don't want to risk it getting repo'd. With zero income (lost job - unemployment claim pending) I have no way to come up with $2200! No living family members from whom to borrow. Nothing left to sell... already did all that trying to stay afloat the first time I was unemployed a few months ago!
        Why do you think filing BK will keep your car in your possession? If you're behind in the payments the lender will most likely file for a relief of stay and commence repossession.

Filing BK with no income is a no no in my BK book. You have to be able to support yourself after the bk because you no longer have a bk-safety net for 8 years.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

i agree with ohiofiler, i would pay up your car asap(maybe even call the lender and work something out, alot are willing these days), forget the atty/court fees for now. your creditors cant take your unemployment, so just stay current on your car and file at a later date if needed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X