Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checking account

Hello everyone,

I filed for BK on 10/16/05 just making the deadline before the new laws. I won't have my 341 Hearing until 12/20/05. I'm in Michigan and need a checking and/or savings account but am in checksystems and can not get any type of account. Does anyone know of any banks that would be willing to give me a secured checking account and should I wait until my BK is discharged before obtaining this account? All comments welcome. Thank you.
    Discharged 2/27/06, closed 6/1/06

I don't know of any banks that do "secured" checking accounts!! Something new???
    You may have to use money orders temp until your can get a bank to let you open another account. If your in the "checksystem" it will be difficult right now...

Minny
    Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Quick note...Usually the cheapest (and least embarrasing) place to get money order's is the Post Office. They are much cheaper than the convenience stores, etc.
      Also, if you take your payroll check to the bank it is drawn from, they will cash it or if it is out od state, consider your local large grocery store for cashing your payroll checks

Comment

Here in California the Safeway grocery store chain has money orders, I think it is $0.35 per hundred dollars... seems cheap!
        I'm in N. California ... Thanks for your replies!
        10/11/05: bought www.form7.com software
        10/14/05: Filed Ch 7 BK Petition pro se skeleton
        10/27/05: Filed all schedules, etc.
        11/17/05: 341 meeting (done!)
        01/16/06: Last day to file objections
        01/18/06: Discharged, closed

Bankruptcy LINKS

Comment

Quick question Newstart -- off your initial subject. But curious, since you are from MI, eastern or western district? Wondering because your 341 date is so late. I filed 10/12 and my date is end of Nov -- nearly a month earlier than yours.

Comment

Have you tried US Bank?

I am in Ohio and they will give you free checking with a debit card. If you don't have them there try Everbank. It is an online only bank. Also could check with some local credit unions-some don't do chexsystems.
            BK Status:
            Filed: 10/7/05
            341: 12/1/05
            Last day to oppose discharge: 1/30/06

Comment

It is up to the bank in some cases. I was in chexsystems, and I was given an account. TCF opened on for me. However they have TERRIBLE banking!!! I have since filed on them. ...LOL anyways. I have been on this website, and they have a LIST of friendly banks, BUT again it depends on the individual branch too. I have heard if you go to open the account with discharge papers in hand they will wave the chexsystems rule.

I use Amcore bank the are here in IL. I love them! They are always nice, I was worried they would close my account because of t BK and they said NO...that's silly, however if my account was over drawn and I owed then yes they would close it.

I am in chexsystems and they opened and account for me with a check card with the Visa logo. However someone said they were turned down. I find that hard to believe since they are VERY helpful when trying o do a mortgage I heard.

good luck

pink-amulet

Comment

Some banks don't use Chexsystems, but I don't know which ones... You could try an online bank-I think netbank.com may be one.
                Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

i checked out an anti chex systems site... US Bank seems to not use that system

Comment

Originally posted by tracy1878
                    i checked out an anti chex systems site... US Bank seems to not use that system
                    glad you checked it out...hope it helps!!

pink-amulet

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X