top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I buy a cheap clunker before discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I buy a cheap clunker before discharge?

My brother is going to sell me his 3rd car that his daughter had for cheapo $800 bucks...is it legal to buy it before discharge? My 341 was 7/17.

It never even crossed my mind that it wouldn't be, I intend on buying a junker to replace the car Dh is surrendering. We won't be discharged until the 21st, but were going to buy a car this week.

I'm curious about the answer to this as well.

Comment

I'm going to be discharged on the 16th. I know I can wait but brother wants to get it over and out of his name asap. Just wondered seeing I am almost done if trustee would even bother with it.

Comment

I see ZERO issues with that.

Comment

Originally posted by pookieny View Post
          My brother is going to sell me his 3rd car that his daughter had for cheapo $800 bucks...is it legal to buy it before discharge? My 341 was 7/17.
          I went to a dealership and bought a 'new' (used but very few miles) car before I was discharged. I financed it... and have had it almost a year now without any problem.
          Last edited by UhhhOhhh; 09-06-2009, 06:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Technically, you should ask your Trustee after your 341. No new debt without consent is allowed, but 800 bucks and an essential need, I doubt he would even want to be bothered about this. I vote, do it. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I think you should ask your brother to wait until the 16th. Just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                Technically, you should ask your Trustee after your 341. No new debt without consent is allowed, but 800 bucks and an essential need, I doubt he would even want to be bothered about this. I vote, do it. 'Hub
                It's not new debt if it's paid for in cash, right?

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                  How long until it's allowed? After the discharge?

Comment

NO it's totally a cash transaction.

I really don't think there would be anything wrong with it but wanted to make sure that it was legal to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
                      How long until it's allowed? After the discharge?
                      HEY DM! Long time. Yes after the discharge but in his case I doubt he will have a problem. A larger expense would be a problem. 'Hub
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I see no problem at all, you are just trading one asset you have (cash) for another (car). You are not incurring any debt. Go for it.
                        7-2-2009 Filed
                        8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                        10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Yeah I don't think this should be an issue either. Can you just use it until you are closed and then make the transaction for real? My brother is using my car right now while I still have use of the one we are surrendering. As long as the car has insurance there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't use it.
                          New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X