Amount in Bank Account day of filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amount in Bank Account day of filing

We will be turning in all papers to our lawyer on Sept. 17th. We have two bank accounts, one for social security and other one is retirement income.
    All monthly expenses/payments are electronically deducted from the two accounts.
    I understand that on day of filing any money left in account is property of the estate. Is this correct? Also, what about the following months (after filing), can we go ahead with our electronic deductions? We're trying to keep from stopping any payments and having to restart them again.
    Reside in Alabama and not sure how much trustee allows us to keep in our account.

I'm not sure if it's state specific or not but in my district in Ohio, our attorney just told us to have as little as possible in the bank that day and give her an estimate of what we had in each account (DH and I have separate accounts) so it could be exempted. We purposely waited to file after we knew all transactions would be processed so we had very little in the accounts on filing day.
    Filed: 8-19-09
    341: 9-21-09
    Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

Your social security $$ is exempt, and depends on your state how the retirement money is treated. The lower the better just to avoid problems.
      7-2-2009 Filed
      8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
      10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X