top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back from 341, after making bail for BK fraud....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from 341, after making bail for BK fraud....

JUST KIDDING!!!!! RELAX......

This is funny.

We had our hearing at 10, showed up around 9:40 or so. I had just got my wife calmed down and told her that I would answer all questions, she would just have to tell the trustee that it was accurate, or whatever (I've 'managed' our finances, so she doesn't have much info. ha). We go through security (standard courthouse security, metal detector, etc.) and they ask where we're going, have to show ID. They ask who our atty is and we tell them, very friendly. Tell us he's a bastard for being on vacation in Austrailia, Guam, etc. (good business for BK atty's these days). We laugh and talk a bit then go upstairs.

JUST in time to hear the UST and GRILLING some Ukrainian couple about their assets. (They were OBVIOUSLY hiding something and lying through their teeth). He's practically yelling at them "these documents appear fraudulent", "we'll have some investigators contact you", etc. And they're smiling from ear to ear. I'm telling you these people were up to something and it was OBVIOUS. My wife then FREAKS out after I've just tried to calm her down and demands I call our atty's office....

One of the other atty's was kind enough to point out our 'sub' attorney. He was rad. Totally cool, laid back. We spoke to him briefly in the hallway and he told us there were no questions, flags, etc. and everything should be straightforward. He then proceeds to make small talk about my wife's tattoos (we're kind of rock and roll).

At 10, we're the FIRST case called (I had a feeling we would be). The TT had nothing but the standard questions. He looked at our ID's, SS cards and verified we were who we said we were. He asked:

Address?
    Asked if we moved recently (we hadn't, we had a P.O. box on our petition that was being used as our mailing address, seemed to clear up that question).
    Did you read the info sheet from the US Trustee's office? (yes)
    Did you review your petition before you signed it? (yes)
    Anything you would like to change in your petition? (no)
    Do you expect any inheritance in the next 180 days? (no). If you do recieve anything, please notify your atty. (yes sir).
    Does anyone owe you any money? Do you have any pending personal injury claims? (no)
    Have you paid more than $600 to any creditors in last three months? (yes- my car, TT wasn't interested in that though, he said he meant only unsecured creditors).
    You are surrendering your house (yes)?
    Do you still have keys (yes)?
    Did you have it listed for sale prior to filing (yes)?
    Who was your agent? (answered)
    I will have my real estate agent contact you, what is your phone number (gave it to him).
    Are there any creditors here? (no answer).
    Thank you. Our sub attorney then wished us luck and told us we were done. Said our atty would contact us once back in town if anything came up.

Piece of cake. Apparently the only thing that may delay our discharge is that the TT wants to try and sell our house. Good luck with that, be my guest!

One last thing that made it amusing...somewhere in the middle of our testimony the TT got an irritated look on his face and began tapping his pencil loudly on the table (not so subtle hint). He then LOUDLY announced to the room that 'people' needed to take their 'discussions' outside. This didn't appear to appease him and he got even more testy, saying "go outside", then "THAT MEANS YOU!!!" to one older attorney in general. I felt bad for the guy as he was older and probably deaf. The even funnier thing is that it was the FIRST BK attorney I talked to that orignially tried to tell me to file 13 or 'work it out' with my creditors. Geez, nice guy but I'm SURE GLAD I didn't go with him!! Ha ha!!!

Then the wife and I had bloody marys and breakfast to calm down and celebrate. Yay! What a freaking adventure that was.!!!!

To those of you with 341 coming up....don't worry. As long as you're honest and being straight up, NOTHING to concern yourself over!!!
    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
    341 Meeting 09/09/09
    Discharged 11/12/09
    Closed 12/14/09

My jaw opened when I saw that subject line! Way to go!!

Comment

Thanks Debtmonster. Just having some fun. I know everyone keeps saying this, but it's really nothing to be concerned about. I was like "I was worried over that?" All the sleepless nights, compilation of paperwork for NO REASON....
      341 Meeting 09/09/09
      Discharged 11/12/09
      Closed 12/14/09

Comment

what is a 341

Comment

Good job and congrats! Welcome to the 60-day club!
          7-2-2009 Filed
          8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
          10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

jlj102:

First meeting of creditors. Basically a trustee places you under oath and asks you basic questions regarding your petition to make sure it's accurate and you're not trying to conceal assets. 99.9% of the time it is a breeze, as long as you're not a crook.... In Chapter 7 you're typically discharged automatically 60 days later....
            341 Meeting 09/09/09
            Discharged 11/12/09
            Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Congrats on getting through it!

Comment

Congrats on a smooth 341 killinstinct! I was thinking about you today.

Even though I got a grilling on my 341 due to my formerly high income, I was SO relieved when it was over. It was a huge weight lifted off of me and I am glad you have yours behind you now!
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Congrats! Keep us posted on the Ukranian case if you can!
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Thanks guys. This forum was truly a godsend. Seriously, don't sweat the 341 people! Just be honest and it will be ok. The people I saw getting grilled and getting second looks you had to be an idiot to not at least question. It's not rocket science....
                    341 Meeting 09/09/09
                    Discharged 11/12/09
                    Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                      Congrats! Keep us posted on the Ukranian case if you can!
                      Yeah! I'll try to figure out which one it was from the docket. It sounded like quite a deal. I told my wife some poor rookie FBI agent got their file thrown on his desk after the meeting. They were TOTALLY dirty!!!!!!!
                      341 Meeting 09/09/09
                      Discharged 11/12/09
                      Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Hey that is great news to hear!

Say, I got a question. If a petitioner felt he or she wanted to change h/her petition at the 341 meeting and the TT asks him/her if he/she wanted to change h/her petition and the petitioner says yes and then what happens? Depending on what the changes are, what would the TT typically do with this question if a petitoner says yes? Does anybody know? I am fine with my petition, just never know except for the tax refund question that I will ask my attorney.

Anyway again, congrats on a smooth 341!
                        Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
                        Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Originally posted by ForumReader View Post
                          Hey that is great news to hear!

Say, I got a question. If a petitioner felt he or she wanted to change h/her petition at the 341 meeting and the TT asks him/her if he/she wanted to change h/her petition and the petitioner says yes and then what happens? Depending on what the changes are, what would the TT typically do with this question if a petitoner says yes? Does anybody know? I am fine with my petition, just never know except for the tax refund question that I will ask my attorney.

Anyway again, congrats on a smooth 341!
                          I would straighten anything out before the 341 just to insure smooth sailing, just my 2 cents. I work in the legal system, and I know that the stronger and 'cleaner' a case is up front, it just removes even the possibility of issues down the road. I would just address it now so you can say "NO" at the 341!!
                          341 Meeting 09/09/09
                          Discharged 11/12/09
                          Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Cool joke, and it got a lot of attention. That is good for those terrified of the meeting. We were too misinformed to even be scared due to our attorney and her lack of interest in education. Remember, we once had money and never anticipated a bankruptcy. Sound familiar? Well there are more coming. Watch to stock market and the retirements funds.

Great joke, great story. 'Hub
                            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

At my 341 there was a gal that wanted to make changes to her
                              petition-I don't remember what for, but he told her and the attorney to amend the petition and continued the 341 to a later date.
                              Filed 5/29/09
                              Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X