After Filing--did this happen to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Filing--did this happen to you?

Since we filed--we have been receiving at least 3 calls a day from debt consolidation companies. They always start out saying " We've just received your credit report---" What's up with that? Is this normal?
    Filed Chapter 7 August 18,2009
    341 scheduled for Oct 7, 2009--DONE!
    Report of No Distribution Oct 8, 2009
    Discharged & Closed Dec. 14, 2009

I did not receive any calls like you mentioned. I did however get mailings about credit consolidation because "You have filed for BK!".

It is all very odd to me.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

i recieved nothing like that at all. after my 341 i didnt get a few offers for a secured credit card(mentioning BK), and my local nissan dealer(mentioning BK)

Comment

Debt consolidation? Why on earth would they send you that!

I've gotten offers for refi mortgage, LOCs, new cars, and CC offers (some with better terms then before BK). All mention "starting over" etc.
        No Asset 7 closed 11/09

Comment

I have no clue as to why they would be offering debt consolidation, Makes no sense to me at all.

Comment

I got calls and mailings from debt consolidation companies. I asked one of the callers why they would bother to call me if they knew I had filed bankruptcy. Her reply was that many that file are just looking for breathing space and may or may not go through with the bankruptcy if there was another alternative. Especially if I was a man that wanted to honor the commitments that I had made...

The other major thing I got a lot of and still do is the ones trying to finance a car for me. One funny one is CRapital One sending me "pre-approved" credit card info to help me reestablish my credit after the bankruptcy. Didn't they notice themselves listed twice in the petition?

Comment

Maybe some states are different? We moved from CA to Sc several years ago. A old bill came to haunt my hubby from before we were together. Some collection agency was calling trying to collect this 15 year old bill. I found them on ripoff report.com and found that they bought up really old debt and some people they contacted just paid. I also found out that they did not work in all states as in some states it is against the law. SC does not protect their citizens from these sort of things I guess. So maybe that makes a difference on this issue too?

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                The other major thing I got a lot of and still do is the ones trying to finance a car for me. One funny one is CRapital One sending me "pre-approved" credit card info to help me reestablish my credit after the bankruptcy. Didn't they notice themselves listed twice in the petition?
                Woo hoooooooo!!

That means I have hope! They were in my petition twice, too!!

I'm almost 2 weeks past my 341 and so far, I haven't received one offer for credit from a credit card or car dealer. You people who are getting them are lucky!

Comment

Even though I have my van exempted in my petition, already I got a couple of car dealerships offering programs for bankruptcy consumers looking to get cars and I have not had my 341 yet.
                  Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
                  Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

The only thing I keep getting is car loan offers... saying how bankruptcy sucks but doesn't mean you have to have a clunker.... lol. I got one credit card offer but other than that no phone calls or anything... I had a few creditors that called a few times in June but that was because they just hadn't gotten around to figuring out that I filed. I had been current on almost all my stuff, so nothing had been charged off or anything.
                    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

We too got a car offer 48 hrs after our BK was filed. Nothing else but the consolidation offers.Maybe some do use BK as Bell mentioned--but what a lot of work and money for something that will only provide a short time period of breathing space.

Comment

I don't remember any offers of cards or debt consolidation or any other offers coming in the mail after we filed, and especially after the 341.

I DO remember the attorney warning us very sternly that if any such offers came, that we were to ignore them. That if we were to make a side deal with any creditor or agency outside of the BK, that we ran the risk of having our case thrown out.
                        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                          They don't actually view the details in your credit report. They just pay for a list of names/addresses of people who file bankruptcy, or have a certain credit score, or whatever other criteria they want. Then they send out a mass mailing to those people and if you read the fine print you aren't really approved, it's conditional on them checking your credit and application. Once they actually run your full credit report they would most likely decline you.

Comment

While I was waiting to be discharged, I got 1 credit card offer (terms sucked!), scores of car loan offers ("because bad things happen to good people" that was actually their slogan ) and tons of "debt consolidation" stuff...everything went straight into the shredder
                            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

BK are a matter of public record. Anyone can go read the dockets and you need to keep that in mind. All sorts of scammers might come out of the woodwork.

Keep in mind all of these offers are probably horrible deals for you. Be very weary!
                              Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X