Questions about members of household?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about members of household?

I have a friend who moved in with me from another state two years ago., it took her awhile but she got a job but only worked a couple of months, which ended March of 08., She is trying for disability., she has alot of mental and physical issues., so I felt bad and let her stay with me as she has no family., and she is a good person but has problems. Last year 2008 she made 3,550.00 dollars for the year so I could not claim her on income tax., but this year she as made nothing so I will be claiming her on my income tax., Questions., can I claim the expenses for two., as I do pay for everything for her ? She was turned down for disability but her attorney is appealing....,
    Thanks.

Please does anyone know ..

Does anyone know if I have another person in my household can I count her expenses as I pay them?

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't give you a good answer, what I can tell you is researching this forum and the web, you will likely find a good response. When I researched about the support for my 2 college kids, I found that Uncle Sam can be somewhat divided on its definitions ie...using census or IRS definitions. If your roommate qualifies as your dependant by IRS rules, you may be OK, but only a lawyer can give you (somewhat) reliable advice...A free consultation with a couple lawyers might answer your question.

Comment

You can claim her expenses as well as her income, but this does raise a red flag for the trustee if she was not claimed on your income tax returns.

It depends on district, but many trustees do not want to see household members on the schedules that were not on the tax returns. You will have to provide a lot of receipts for each and every expense that you covered, and it will subject your schedule to closer review, but as long as claim both the expenses and the income and she lives with you you can claim her in most districts.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I really don't have receipts of such other than she has had no income whatsoever since March of 2008., I will be claiming her this year 2009 on the IRS in January. Should I wait till then to file?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X