top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we send letter to our credit union?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we send letter to our credit union?

Hello, we walked into our cred union a few weeks ago and asked to close our acct. We had drained it down to $5. They wouldn't let us close it because we owe $1500 on a loan.

We missed our CC pmt on Sept 6. They haven't started calling... but now we've got a late fee and the defaulted higher %%.

Should we write a letter and tell them what is up, and refer to our attorney? or just ignore?
    Stopped paying CCs 6/09
    Filed 1/10
    341 = 3/10
    6/22/2010 DISCHARGE!!

that's weird. why not just withdraw the $5? does it matter whether it's officially closed when the balance is zero?
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I can take out the $5, it is actually $3.xx in checking and $2.xx in savings; just happened to be the amt left after our last debit. That is not the issue... they won't close it since we owe them $1500.

I didn't know if we needed to officially close the acct. Wasn't sure if it would benefit the future (Chexsystems) report if it was closed by us. I guess it's all a moot point?
      Stopped paying CCs 6/09
      Filed 1/10
      341 = 3/10
      6/22/2010 DISCHARGE!!

Comment

I wouldn't put any money in that account. I think most CUs have the right and ability to take what you owe them from the acct.

Comment

Nah, don't call them...they'll be calling you soon enough. When do you plan on filing?
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I'm not planning to put any money in, I'm trying to CLOSE this acct. We have opened another cking somewhere...

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
            When do you plan on filing?
            Early November.
            Stopped paying CCs 6/09
            Filed 1/10
            341 = 3/10
            6/22/2010 DISCHARGE!!

Comment

Originally posted by weRN2deep View Post
              I'm not planning to put any money in, I'm trying to CLOSE this acct. We have opened another cking somewhere...

Early November.
              Let the account go into the (-)negative and then just add them to your matrix when you file in Nov. They are being bu**heads!

P.S. Who cares if they report you to Chexsystem, you'll be established at a new bank and your credit will be trashed (at least for awhile) because of the BK anyway
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

i don't think it's a good idea to let the account go negative. just leave it with the $5.

and, if they get reported to chexsystem, it could make it harder to start a new bank account. so i would try to avoid that if possible. credit and chexsystem are different: bad credit won't stop you from opening a new bank account, but chexsystem could.
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09

Comment

If an bank or CU puts you into chexsystems because they won't close your account due to a credit line not being paid, you can send a copy of your discharge to Chexsystems showing that you included the bank in your bankruptcy and they will remove the Chexsystems entry.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                    i don't think it's a good idea to let the account go negative. just leave it with the $5.

and, if they get reported to chexsystem, it could make it harder to start a new bank account. so i would try to avoid that if possible. credit and chexsystem are different: bad credit won't stop you from opening a new bank account, but chexsystem could.
                    Yeah, but if the OP leaves $5 bucks in the account and they take out their $50 "application fee", then it'll automatically go into the (-) negative (that's what I meant). The OP has already stated that they are established in a new checking account, therefore there will be no need to open a new banking account anytime soon. I know that the Neg. account can be claimed in BK, but I don't know if BK cancels out a report to Chexsystems... maybe someone who knows the answer will come along...

ADDED: Thanks BacktoSchool....so a person CAN be removed from Chexsystem after the discahrge
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                      Yeah, but if the OP leaves $5 bucks in the account and they take out their $50 "application fee", then it'll automatically go into the (-) negative (that's what I meant). The OP has already stated that they are established in a new checking account, therefore there will be no need to open a new banking account anytime soon. I know that the Neg. account can be claimed in BK, but I don't know if BK cancels out a report to Chexsystems... maybe someone who knows the answer will come along...

ADDED: Thanks BacktoSchool....so a person CAN be removed from Chexsystem after the discahrge
                      My CU is being a pissy about closing my account because I am bking a 15k credit card with them, so I really checked into this chexsystems thing. You just have to send Chexsystems a letter with a copy of your Chexsystems credit report and a copy of the discharge and a copy showing the bank that is listed on chexsystems is included in the creditor matrix, and they will remove the bank as long as you didn't bounce a lot of checks or have a huge negative balance and that is why the bank was included. If the bank was just included because the bank was throwing a temper tantrum and wouldn't close your account, Chexsystems will delete that entry.
                      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

what would they take a $50 "application fee" for? is closing an account an application? i personally never heard of such a thing. maybe because i didn't need to close any accounts recently...
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                          what would they take a $50 "application fee" for? is closing an account an application? i personally never heard of such a thing. maybe because i didn't need to close any accounts recently...
                          The OP had just opened/filled out the application for the bank account and that's were the application fee came into play, but found another bank s/he decided to go with and wanted to "cancel the application" from the bank in question...now they are saying there's an "application fee"
                          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

oh! it's a fee for closing it early. leave it open for another 6 monnths and close it then. (usually after 6 months you can close an account without paying a fee).
                            filed ch7 May 09
                            341 june 09

Comment

i dont think music gets it

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X