• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job -vs - 341 meeting on 10/15

-Filed CH-7 (Non-asset)
    -Downsized Jan/09, and have been on unemployemnt since
    -341 meeting scheduled 10/15
    -Just received a $90K job offer with a "suggested" start date of 09/28
    -Obviously I'll accept the offer,.... but would you suggest I negotiate a start date after the 341 meeting?....or just not worry about it?

What would you do, and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wow I don;t know what to say but the trustee will ask. When they find out your going to make that kind of money they may dismiss your case.
    9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
    11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
    01/04/2010 - last day for objections
    01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

Originally posted by drowningNdebt View Post
      Wow I don;t know what to say but the trustee will ask. When they find out your going to make that kind of money they may dismiss your case.
      Whoa, the trustee will not dismiss your case because you got a new job. They may, however, try to convert you to a Chapter 13.

Try to start your new job after the 341 (probably easier said than done though) because during your meeting, the trustee will ask you if anything changed since filing. You want to tell him "nope, nothing has changed". Then start your job a week later.
      Last edited by mike258; 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I would try to postpone, but if you can't - you can't. Just be truthful to any questions asked. Do you have a lawyer you can ask about what questions are typically asked by your specific trustee? They are supposed to all ask the same basic questions but it's pretty obvious from the posts here that they don't even do that.

Congratulations on the new job!

Comment

Even after 341 you should not accept any new jobs which bumps up your income until discharge.

Comment

What if you dont currently have any job and then get a job to bring in somce kind of income?

Comment

It looks like you will have already accepted the new job offer prior to your 341meeting. Item 17 on Schedule I requires an answer regarding any changes anticipated in income during the next year. Recommend you carefully consider this response.
              Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Brittanie55 View Post
                What if you dont currently have any job and then get a job to bring in somce kind of income?
                It may not make any difference since, you still have to have enough disposable income to fund a Chapter 13.
                Just disclose the employment to your attorney and let them run the numers. If you're talking about an hourly wage rate job-it'll likely make no difference.

I'd just say to the OP-don't jeopardize a $90K a year job or, your bk. Start when they ask you to and disclose it to your lawyer and let the chips fall where they may.

Comment

Yeah I was just talking about a hourly rate type job, would not be making much at all just enough to make some kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Brittanie55 View Post
                    Yeah I was just talking about a hourly rate type job, would not be making much at all just enough to make some kind of money.
                    Brittanie, you are fine because it will probably still be under the median and you probably won't have a lot of extra income laying around.

I accepted a job before I filed and disclosed it on my paperwork and at my 341 and it was just fine. It isn't a high paying job, though.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have not got a job yet, I am trying. It will not be anywhere close to being high paying. I will just document it if I do get one.

Comment

I think you need to be honest with the trustee. 90k is a lot of money. Now I understand that for some folks they might have debt which still makes that salary a struggle but in your case you claim a "no asset case" which suggests, like myself, you aren't used to high salaries and having lots of worldly possessions..

If I received a 90k job offer I would GLADLY pay my debts, every penny and would probably be able to do so within a year. I would thank my lucky stars for such a job.

OTOH, it is just an offer. Who knows what will happen. You might never get to start. You might only get to work for two weeks and then get laid off again. So I see where you are coming from.

Either way I wish you the best and I hope you get that 90k job, love it, and stay there until retirement!
                        Last edited by debtprison; 09-14-2009, 03:15 PM.
                        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, advice, encouragement, etc.....!!!!

After some "soul searching" & additional information about what happens during the 341 meeting (and the potential questions), I think I'm going to try and delay my start date until after my meeting on 10/15 (I'll try for a start date of 10/19). That way I'll have a clear conscience if they ask; "Has anything changed with your finances"?

I know it's a calculated risk to ask for a start date so far in advance, but it's worth it knowing we can have a clean start & slate after the discharge (I have a long story, but besides CC debt, I had 10+ homes in TX that went into foreclosure over the past couple years)

Thanks again folks,....... and GOD bless you & America!

Comment

Everything that goes on with Bankruptcy is as of the filing date. Any income or change in income that you have after the filing date shouldn't matter. All of the schedules that you fill out are as of filing date.

Comment

341 meeting with $100K new job

I am in a similar situation. If you have time, please advise how the 341 meeting went.

Thanks,
                              JB

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X