Utilities / switching providers w/ balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utilities / switching providers w/ balance

I thought i might file ch 7 just for my credit cards but i just recieved a bill from my elect company. i do balanced billing and i guess they estimated wrong or prices went way up because the 'true up' amount for the previous six months is just over $1000. i don't see our usage changing that much. they recalculate the payments every 6 months but you have to pay for the previous period before they re-enroll you for the next 6 months. with the current month's payment, they want $1,400.

Can i switch providers and add it to my list of creditors? i just took off the auto-pays for my credit cards so now i'm wondering if there's anything else i should consider including if i plan on filing soon.

thanks.

Where do you live that you have an alternate provider to choice from? Here we can pick a different "source" (from 2 or 3) -- but it's akin to picking a different calling plan. You still have an account with the same company that was billing you before.

You should be able to list the Utility Company in your filing. Sometimes they just continue as normal, other times you technically disconnect and reconnect with a new account (sometimes when they "reopen" they will require a security deposit).

Comment

Originally posted by jadams View Post
      Where do you live that you have an alternate provider to choice from? Here we can pick a different "source" (from 2 or 3) -- but it's akin to picking a different calling plan. You still have an account with the same company that was billing you before.

You should be able to list the Utility Company in your filing. Sometimes they just continue as normal, other times you technically disconnect and reconnect with a new account (sometimes when they "reopen" they will require a security deposit).
      Thanks. I'm in TX but don't really know if it's truly an alternate provider. i'll look into it. there are dozens of choices, each with a different price but i'm not sure if the actual provider remains the same or who actually holds the account.

If they are all the same provider, it seems like i'd have to pay if i don't want to lose power. if i keep paying, there won't be a balance left when i file.

Guess i'll add it to the list of questions for our attny.

Thanks

Comment

We included our $600 gas bill with our bk. I called beforehand to ask what the procedure was and it worked exactly as the bk person explained. All I had to do was fax a copy of our bankruptcy filing to them and they wiped the debt clear. We do have to pay a $140 deposit but they are spreading it over 4 months. I was very pleased with the way it turned out and now we will have a zero balance as we go into the cold winter months. What a relief!

Try giving your utility a call anonomously and asking what their bk procedure is. It couldn't hurt and you might not have to change providers.
        Filed: 8-19-09
        341: 9-21-09
        Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

Originally posted by zpbk13 View Post
          We included our $600 gas bill with our bk. I called beforehand to ask what the procedure was and it worked exactly as the bk person explained. All I had to do was fax a copy of our bankruptcy filing to them and they wiped the debt clear. We do have to pay a $140 deposit but they are spreading it over 4 months. I was very pleased with the way it turned out and now we will have a zero balance as we go into the cold winter months. What a relief!

Try giving your utility a call anonomously and asking what their bk procedure is. It couldn't hurt and you might not have to change providers.
          thanks. so you didn't have to be discharged, etc yet? just show them that you filed? you didn't lose the service or anything? just got a clean slate and had to pay a deposit? wow.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X