paperwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paperwork

I have over 300 pages of paper work. Taxes bank accounts etc.

How do I hand this into a lawyer? In a stack and let them sort it or do i sort it.?

Thanks

our attorney gave us a folder that had seperate spots to organize everything. If your attorney doesn't do this it might be worth it to ya to actually buy a folder to organize everything... it can get confusing trying to find every thing they ask from ya.
    Filed 8/2009
    Discharged & Closed 11/2009
    Now the rebuilding begins....

Comment

If you have a checklist from the attorney, organize it in files by using the checklist as an index.

I labeled each file with the corresponding item number/name. If, for example, there were several bank accounts and the bank account index number was 3 I would label the file folder #3 Chase bank and put in the two yrs of statements; then another folder #3 GTE FCU and put in two yrs of statements etc. One file folder to each index number. I put every folder in order by the index number so when the paralegal or attorney needed to reference something, she/he could go right to it. It made it easy to organize and easy to input the data on the petition. Of course, my stack of papers was actually in a file box and contained 2000 pages!

Another poster on here used binders to oraganize. It really depends upon how much info you are providing.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

You will want to send it in already piled as it relates. It will save your attorney's office time. I do not work for an attorney.
        But do know the golden rule do on to others as you as you would have others do on to you.
        Neat shows pride in yourself even tho you're going thru this.
        Besides it will be easier for you to know if you left something out that way.

Wish ya luck.

Comment

How many years of statements do you need to provide? I thought it was only the last statement for cc and the last six months of pay stubs. Is there more? I am going to start gathering this info this week and I want to be prepared for what I need to provide. Thanks for you help!

Comment

Originally posted by nerves View Post
            How many years of statements do you need to provide? I thought it was only the last statement for cc and the last six months of pay stubs. Is there more? I am going to start gathering this info this week and I want to be prepared for what I need to provide. Thanks for you help!
            Ask your lawyer what they require.

I'd agree with the others. Don't do a paper dump. Try and be as organized as possible. Your lawyers para will be the one dealing with this and you sure don't want him/her putting your stack on the the back burner as they try and process other filers who are more helpful.

Comment

We organized ours with file folders. Our attorney told us if we brought our paperwork in just thrown in a box, there would be extra charges for them to have to sort through it.

Comment

I got a expanding file fold and sorted it already. it looks at lot better than handing in a stack of papers.(I wish looks is what mattered)

nerves, My attorney asked for 4 years of tax returns and i have lot of cc statements plus 6 months of bank statments. They paperwork does add up.

Comment

Originally posted by mom2three09 View Post
                  our attorney gave us a folder that had seperate spots to organize everything. If your attorney doesn't do this it might be worth it to ya to actually buy a folder to organize everything... it can get confusing trying to find every thing they ask from ya.
                  Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                  If you have a checklist from the attorney, organize it in files by using the checklist as an index.

I labeled each file with the corresponding item number/name. If, for example, there were several bank accounts and the bank account index number was 3 I would label the file folder #3 Chase bank and put in the two yrs of statements; then another folder #3 GTE FCU and put in two yrs of statements etc. One file folder to each index number. I put every folder in order by the index number so when the paralegal or attorney needed to reference something, she/he could go right to it. It made it easy to organize and easy to input the data on the petition. Of course, my stack of papers was actually in a file box and contained 2000 pages!

Another poster on here used binders to oraganize. It really depends upon how much info you are providing.
                  Originally posted by lifelesson View Post
                  You will want to send it in already piled as it relates. It will save your attorney's office time.
                  Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                  Ask your lawyer what they require.

I'd agree with the others. Don't do a paper dump.
                  Originally posted by dirtpoor View Post
                  We organized ours with file folders.
                  Well aren't y'all just a bunch of dream clients?!! Most of mine just bring them in jumbled up in a paper bag that has an awful smell and greasy spots on it that the paralegal won't touch until I buy her some surgical gloves.
                  Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

lol....my lawyer said to have it filed by the list they provided and to have copies already made. They said most people try to bring all there stuff in grocery bags with the mail not even opened so they had to start charging to make the copies because some give them a year worth of stuff like that....lol.

I purchased a divided folder.

Comment

Originally posted by adviceplease View Post
                      They said most people try to bring all there stuff in grocery bags with the mail not even opened so they had to start charging to make the copies because some give them a year worth of stuff like that....lol.
                      EXACTLY!! Years of unopened bills in greasy, nasty smelling old grocery bags. I'm going to take a tip from your lawyer and buy a bunch of those multi-pocket folders and make them sort all that stuff.
                      Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

funny, know what my lawyer asked for? nothing! i brought copies of the most recent statements from creditors with me, figuring he'd most likely need that to fill in the forms. that's it.

he didn't even bother to ask for my tax return and pay stubs. I knew the rules required me to give those to the trustee at least 1 week prior to the 341 (the rules say "shall" without saying "only if your lawyer tells you about it"!). so i was the one who called my lawyer and said, don't you need this? he was like, oh sure, i'll take that. then he said if all his clients were like me, he wouldn't even need his secretary.
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09
                        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Thank you everyone. I was just wondering what I would have to dig up. I am concerned about the cc statements. I didn't keep them - I will have pull all of them from online. I am current on all my cards so I shouldn't have access issues. I have the tax returns and I can pull my pay stubs from online. The attorney we are going to see has been strictly bankruptcies for the past ten years. I hope he is good. Thanks again everyone. This forum has been so helpful. I checked it out for the first time on Friday and have posted a few questions and everyone has been very helpful and I have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you!!!

Comment

Thank you everyone. I was just wondering what I would have to dig up. I am concerned about the cc statements. I didn't keep them - I will have pull all of them from online. I am current on all my cards so I shouldn't have access issues. I have the tax returns and I can pull my pay stubs from online. The attorney we are going to see has been strictly bankruptcies for the past ten years. I hope he is good. Thanks again everyone. This forum has been so helpful. I checked it out for the first time on Friday and have posted a few questions and everyone has been very helpful and I have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you!!!

My suggestion: download to your hard drive all the cc statements (go back years!) but DON'T print any out unless you need to. Not all BK's require the back up data especially if you are below median or have a simple Ch 7. But if you have down loaded the cc statements then if you need them you have them. Once you file, your access is cut off so do it while you are current.
                            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X