Am I affected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I affected?

First of all, I am an immigrant, and I am living with my mom; I am 19 years old. So, the thing is this, my mom will be filing chapter 7 ( I think ) this coming November, but the problem is, she has high income; though, now she reduced her time at work, to reduce her sallary...to maintain the required amount of sallary, and so on...

My question is this: she told me not to get a job; she says that if I am going to have a job, my sallary will be also accounted for, and that our income will exceed to the required amount...

and I am very skeptical for that matter, that's why I wanted to ask you guys...do I really have to not get a job? I mean, I am 19 right, the only thing is I am living with her....do this experience happen to you? or any of you who filed Ch. 7 who has a child same age as me...or something like that...

Thank you very much..

PS. My mom also told me that she already asked this matter to the Lawyer, and I just want to double check or get second opinion. It's not that I don't trust my mom; it's just that she sometimes becomes shy of asking questions, and sometimes provides me inaccurate answers...
    Last edited by Gomorrah; 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...

If you are living at home with your mom, and if she claimed you on her income tax returns last year and this year as an exemption, then your income will affect her total household income when she files for bankruptcy.

Even if your mom didn't claim you on her income tax returns, my guess is that she is counting you as part of her household in terms of expenses so that she can pass the means test.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

you can get a job right after she files...it's almost november anyway, couldn't hurt to wait.
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Yeah, I guess I just have to wait...Well thank you guys.

Comment

in my opinion, unless there are other circumstances you didn't mention, it is absolutely crazy and irresponsible for your mom to expect you to wait to find a job just because she is filing. you should find a job, and once you find the job you can move out. if you don't intend to move out when you find a job, then maybe she has a point. but you'd better be doing *something* that you can put on your resume or your job prospects will plummet. also, things could delay her filing, and then what? how long are you supposed to sit around doing nothing for?
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

@music - yeah, got a point there... well, at least I'm studying right now, a good way to kill boredom...thanks

Comment

if you are a student, it's not as bad as i thought... many people don't work while studying and it's not bad for their resume.
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I'm glad to hear that...Thanks...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X