How to list Debt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to list Debt.

Hi to all, I am really confused about how to list debts that are over a year old on my chapter 7 pro se case. The schedules say things like list all debt in the last 90 days or all setoffs in the last year but what if I have accounts in collection that are over that time limit? Can I file without schedules? Thanks to anyone who may be able to help, I am drowning.

Originally posted by Leia View Post
    Hi to all, I am really confused about how to list debts that are over a year old on my chapter 7 pro se case. The schedules say things like list all debt in the last 90 days or all setoffs in the last year but what if I have accounts in collection that are over that time limit? Can I file without schedules? Thanks to anyone who may be able to help, I am drowning.
    Hi welcome to the forum. Yes, you should include collections in your petition, I am not sure how old up to for collections to be listed on the petition (there was a thread about statutes of limitations for collections somewhere on this site)though. I had a couple of CAs (collection agencies) and had them listed as well as the original creditors with the accounts that were sold off to the CAs.
    Good luck with your pro se case!
    Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
    Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

We're filing with a lawyer and they just asked me to review my credit report, which they provided and make sure everything was there. Now, do I have to go back and list collection agencies too??? Some of them have gone through 3-4 agencies.

Comment

Be safe - list them all.
        Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

hi Leia, welcome to the BK forum. I hope everything will go okay for you. If you are filing pro se that is impressive by the way. I do know there is a pro se section here on the forum too. But I would list everything.
          Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
          Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
          341 Meeting 01/05/2009
          Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Thanks

I am beyond bankruptcy burnt out right now and the problem I am having is the paper work specifies time restraints. Ex: List all charge offs in the last year. So my issue is there is no "spot" if you will to list things that are over a year old. I really don't want to make any mistakes and I have obsessed with every detail being correct since this is my only shot to get it right. I am just unsure how to catalog debt that is over the time specification. Thanks to every one for welcoming me and for your suggestions! I truly appreciate it.

Comment

You could be confusing "setoff" with "chargeoff." A setoff occurs when you have funds deducted from your account to pay a deliquent bill. If it was done within 90 days of filing, the TT may have an interest in taking it back.
              A chargeoff is an accounting term that removes the debt from the original creditor's books and it may be sold and/or assigned many times but the debt is still valid. I didn't see anywhere that asked for chargeoffs but I may have overlooked it.
              Filed Ch7 5/28/09 (Pro Se) Orlando, 341 7/01, UST selected case for audit 7/01, Last day for objection 8/31. Audit report filed 9/10, no material misstatements. Discharged and closed 9/22/2009

Comment

Moral of the story, save all of your papers. Every little piece of collections mail that comes through.

I have file folders tabbed with the names and account numbers of every creditor I owe. Whenever they send any mail, it goes into the file folders so I will have all that ready to refer to when I file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X