Breakdown of What Was Paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakdown of What Was Paid

I filed for Chapter 7 in June 2005. (HUGE mistake.) Everything I owned was sold. I need to obtain a breakdown of how the money was disbursed. How to I find this information? I've looked on PACER but can't find anything that gives a specific breakdown.

Upon the sale of the business (which was owned by my X) all of the taxes were to have been paid off. However, the state (Michigan) is coming after me for unpaid single business taxes for the year 2001. All taxes should've been paid when the business was sold.

I guess what I need to know is HOW do I get a breakdown from the BK court? Should I contact the Trustee?

Tallulah

This sounds like a real, nasty mess, so you have my deepest sympathy.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but I hope someone here will. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemartini View Post
      This sounds like a real, nasty mess, so you have my deepest sympathy.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but I hope someone here will. Good luck.
      Thanks, BlueM!

Oh yeah. It was a NIGHTMARE. Biggest mistake of my life. 3 years of divorce nightmare followed by 2 years of post divorce nightmare topped off with 4 years of bankruptcy nightmare. The bankruptcy put me right back at square one with my X only I was in a totally POWERLESS position.

Tallulah

Comment

yaykes.

i think the trustee should have filed a report of how the assets were distributed. if it's not on pacer, call the trustee or you could call your lawyer if you had one. take a deep breath, the information is out there somewhere.

i don't know anything about businesses, but my feeling is that the state can't go after you for a business tax, when the business was sold in bk.
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
          yaykes.

i think the trustee should have filed a report of how the assets were distributed. if it's not on pacer, call the trustee or you could call your lawyer if you had one. take a deep breath, the information is out there somewhere.

i don't know anything about businesses, but my feeling is that the state can't go after you for a business tax, when the business was sold in bk.
          Thank you, Music! Yeah, 'yaykes' is right. I filed in June '05 per the advice of a lawyer who said that if the 7 "didn't fly" we could convert it to a 13. All I was trying to do was put a stop to foreclosure on the business and I was having great difficulty working with my X. (The divorce decree was another hornet's nest.) Anyhoo, I was at my wit's end trying to find a solution. My lawyer had me file a 7 and when it didn't 'fly' the Trustee's lawyer ejected me from my business (my only source of income which was very little as it was) and then told me to continue making my house payments (of which I was already 3 months behind in.) They expected me to 'get a job' right before Christmas and make my house payments. Needless to say, I couldn't. Hence, they ejected me and my kids from our home.

It seems to me that it was up to the Trustee to pay off all the taxes and debt once the business was sold. For all I know, that old SBT may have been paid. I just need to find out.

It's still extremely difficult for me to look at any of this. I was an utter basket case through all of it.

Btw, my attorney abandoned my case. When the 7 didn't 'fly' she wrote me a letter stating she didn't do 13's. She was really awful. I did NOT qualify for a 7 or a 13. It's so many years later now that I doubt there's much I can do. But I can't be left holding this debt that should've been paid upon the sale of the business.

Tallulah

Comment

My situation is similar but related in certain ways. I had a business but the business was closed before I filed chapter 7 and I owe business taxes my ex didn't pay (the business was in my name only and he stole the money that was used to pay the taxes then some) and now I'm trying to deal with the State and IRS on my own to settle the balance. Since my chapter 7 was an asset case (and I'm assuming yours was also) you should have received a distribution report from the trustee that gave you a breakdown of the total amount of assets liquidated for distribution and how much the trustee received for administration and how much was allocated for individual creditors (or at least that's how my case went).

If you don't remember receiving a distribution letter, check PACER or call the trustee directly and that should give you the information you need. Since penalties and interest accumulate very quickly with taxes, you might want to also contact the state of Michigan to find if the total balance was paid or only a portion. If you still owe, you might still be able to file an OIC with them for the balance and if the balance is small you might be able to make payment arrangements to pay the balance over time.

PM me for individual details on my case, but like I said our cases are similar in ways but very different in others.

Good luck and I hope things work out for the best.
            Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
            341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
            Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

sounds like your bk lawyer should be disbarred. at some point you might want to consult a different bk lawyer to see how much of the screwed-up "fresh start" can be salvaged...
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09

Comment

sounds like your bk lawyer should be disbarred. at some point you might want to consult a different bk lawyer to see how much of the screwed-up "fresh start" can be salvaged...
                It is unbelievable how many bankruptcy attorneys I went to trying to find help. The BK lawyer I went to (after filing and being dumped by my attorney) informed me that in order to convert to a 13 I'd have to qualify. But this got really sticky since my X hadn't filed BK. The lawyer told me that I'd have to come up with a full amount to pay off the BK. Other than that, I was skarooed.

Subsequently, I went to another BK firm. They were terrific but, again, they told me there was nothing I could do with the exception of suing the original lawyer for malpractice. My original lawyer has an egregious reputation.

I spoke with my X yesterday. He said he was willing to sign a statement saying that I was not a corporate officer for the business in the year 2001. The state keeps insisting I AM an officer basically because they can't collect from my X. The BK Trustee sold all of my assets. The SB taxes should've been paid. It's $2200 they're saying I owe. I DON'T owe it. As it is, I make very little money. And during our divorce my X actively kept me OUT of our business (one I'd worked with him for nearly 20 years) in spite of the fact that our status quo order instructed us to work together. My X violated all court orders including our divorce decree.

Pfffft.

Tallulah

Comment

wow. get that statement from your X before he changes his mind.

do you have any independent proof that you were not an officer during that time? or do you depend on your X completely for this?
                  filed ch7 May 09
                  341 june 09

Comment

wow. get that statement from your X before he changes his mind.

do you have any independent proof that you were not an officer during that time? or do you depend on your X completely for this?
                    Yeah, I typed up a letter for my X to sign and sent my S24 home with it to give to him. X is famous for reneging on promises but we'll see. Who knows? Maybe he'll actually keep his word this time. Pffffffft. I'm not holding my breath.

In 2001 he filed an amendment with the state on the annual report removing me as officer. I'd sent that to the state MANY times.

The only thing I received from the trustee was a final report that didn't give a blow by blow breakdown of how everything was paid. I have no idea what was paid to the credit card companies and I don't know how much my X was obligated to pay. I really need a detailed description.

Tallulah

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X