No announcement yet.

TV Offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once got a letter from Bass and Associates. My lawyer told me to ignore them. I think this was also for Best Buy (it was in 01, so I don't remember exactly - it was either Best Buy or a furniture store). Anyhow, they sent one more letter, then disappeared. No company wants your TV, since it will cost them more to recover it than they could sell it for.

Comment

dont let them take it! stop talking to them. i was under the impression they cant take anything till they file with the court/tt. in fact i thought they had to wait till discharge to actually take secured items not surrendered but listed, maybe im wrong...

Comment

Don't agree to schedule a pickup time. Inform them they are violating the stay and if the want the tv you expect them to file for relief through the courts. Also, inform them that if they try this you will ask the court to make them prove that the tv is secured by producing the credit agreement with your signature. In my case when asked to provide this information they could not.

Don't make it easy for them. Make them work for it and spend money to get the tv. My guess is they will go away and leave you alone.
        Filed Chapter 7 7/24/2009
        UST Has Questions :unsure: 08/11/2009
        341 Completed !!! 9/1/2009 :clapping:
        DISCHARGED 11/10/2009 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

They're violating the bk code by collecting.

Maybe you should let them come take it but document and record them doing so, with signatures during collection, and then use it to pursue them in bk court for the violation. Even the trustee could sue them for violating stay and retrieving assets.
          My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
          posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Here is an article on PMSI:

In Part 1, I discussed perfected security interest, such as home mortgages and car titles. The next common type of secured debt is the purchase money security interest (also known as a “PMSI”). Like a perfected security interest, a PMSI is a voluntary lien placed on the debtor’s property as a result of the debtor’s written permission, but unlike a PMSI, the interest is automatically “perfected” without being recorded. In other words, the lien holder does not need to take any extra steps to ensure the loan is secured by certain property belonging to the debtor.

This type of security is created when a debtor buys personal property using money borrowed directly from the seller. The most common example is a store credit card, such as Rooms to Go or Sears. For example, if a computer is purchased from CompUSA using store credit, the debt is automatically secured by the computer. If the same computer is purchased using a credit card (e.g. Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover), the debt is totally unsecured.

Like other secured debt in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the debtor can choose to pay the debt (known as reaffirmation agreement) and keep the merchandise. In the alternative, the debtor can choose to surrender the merchandise and discharge the debt.

In a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, the debtor can “value” the merchandise, and pay the creditor only an amount equal to the fair market value. Any remaining amount owed would be treated as an unsecured claim.

http://www.************************/...rity-interest/

IF the creditor is allowed to collect the TV during your BK because of the PMSI, I would give it back to them. Yes you spent $1000 on a TV you no longer will have, but then again you are also discharging XX amount of debt. It is a small price to pay to get rid of big debt. I agree with the consensus here - ignore the request until they have something from the court authorizing pickup. But in the end, look at the big picture - I would trade $1000 anyday to get rid of mega debt. This is your chance to start over without bringing thru all the old debt. Take it.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I am a bit confused as to why your attorney was trying to negotiate. Why not just tell them they are in violation and send them a letter? I certainly wouldn't be entertaining them about coming to get the tv. Tell them they have to file a motion with the courts to take it.
              Filed Ch 7 July 23, 2009
              341 over September 21, 2009
              Discharged November 23, 2009 (received papers November 27, 2009)

Comment

I think it's because the debt was secured by the tv. The attorney explained it to me like a car with a loan. If you don't pay the balance, or negotiate a settlement, they take it.
                I guess we can go through the whole court order thing, but we're also moving out of state to get a fresh start. Why bother with this? Let 'em take it.

Comment

Ignore them! Don't call them back, don't set up an appointment, and don't let them into your house, they have no case.

Comment

Like other secured debt in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the debtor can choose to pay the debt (known as reaffirmation agreement) and keep the merchandise. In the alternative, the debtor can choose to surrender the merchandise and discharge the debt.
                    glad you added a follow up in red to the above statement, as the only choices you seemed offer were to pay or give it back. of course the 3rd option, make them take it and show proof and file with the court/tt as reqd.
                    sure they will come get it if you just say "ok, come get it". if they have to go thru legal means, show proof of docs, file with the court, wait for decision, etc..,they will probably reconsider options. then again, is your lawyer asking for more money to fight/delay this if needed? then it might be better to just give it up to save any additional lawyer fees.

Comment

MrSmithster, the red portion is just my opinion! The article above it is from an attorney at www.************************
                      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X