How much does Chapter 7 Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does Chapter 7 Cost

We have an appointment to see a BK attorney in Sacramento next week - looking to file Chapter 7.

How much is this going to cost us? What's the going rate for attorney's fees for Ch. 7?

We own (aka have a mortgage) on our home, 2 leased cars, 1 school loan and $100k in CC debt we need to wipe out. House is totally underwater since Sacramento real estate market took a dive. No other assets except retirement accounts and general househole stuff.

No asset Chapter 7, as far as I can see.

Need to know how much $$ we need to come up with and do we have to pay it all upfront?

Many thanks!!
    Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
    Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
    Case went without a hitch!
    I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

retaining fee's

Yes you have to pay your bill in full if you want them to do anything on your behalf,,, just had a buddy file with an Attorney In Sac no too long ago. I think he paid $1700 and he got rid of Everything he owned and started over...

I have a meeting with an Attorney Wed and may talk to another before I decide anything at least... I am going to call his next, from Sac.

Comment

Yes you do need to pay all up front before it could be sent. I paid $1500 and i live in ny. He was orignally charging me $2000 but me and a friend of mine filed together so he gave us a suppose discount lol.

Comment

I'm in maryland and for us its $1500 plus its $300 to file, $50 for credit reports and $75 for a certificate from CCCS for pre-bankruptcy counseling. Oh yeah and then it's $70 for the bankruptcy/money management course we have to take. So what's that altogether...$1995 total.

Comment

I'm in Louisiana, and it was 1400.00 all together with filing fees.

Comment

Mine was $1435 for the attorney, $299 for filing court fees and $80 dollars for the courses.
            Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
            Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

Mine was total of $1299, that includes the filing fees, but I pay for my own courses, and I pulled my free credit reports (per my attorney's suggestion).

Also, my attorney accepted a $500 retainer, and once I paid that, I was able to send all the collections phone calls to him. The remainder of $799 was due at the time of turning in the paperwork, which we just did on Monday!

KBB
              Filed - 9/28/09
              341 - 11/20/09
              Last Day to Object - 1/19/10
              My BK blog: http://forgiveusourdebts.wordpress.com

Comment

In Colorado mine will cost $1400 for chapter 7. That includes the filing fees, but I still need to pay for my own courses. Will be paying my $400 retainer today and the remaining balance the day I file.
                Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

I am in Ohio and my attorney's fees were $1100, court fees $299, debtor education courses $80, credit report $30. My attorney wouldn't accept my free Transunion report. (Maybe because I pulled it a month early.)
                  He asked for the $1100, $30, $299 in full before he would file. It took me a bit to pay him. I paid him $500 up front and he immediately took on my collections calls.
                  Filed Ch 7 July 23, 2009
                  341 over September 21, 2009
                  Discharged November 23, 2009 (received papers November 27, 2009)

Comment

I'm in California and the "going rate" (I consulted with 6 attorneys) is between $2k-2,300 plus filing fees.
                    You can retain your attorney for as little as $100 down (at least in my case) and once you stop paying your creditors, you should have enough $$ to pay the fees.
                    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

The fee depends on the complexity of the case (are there reaffirmations, assets, etc.). I paid 2,100 including the 300 bankruptcy court costs.
                      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Louisiana is $1400 including lawyer and court fees.

Comment

For a Ch7 no-asset here in MN I paid my lawyer $1000 to retain him and to take my collection calls. And then a week before I filed I paid him the rest of his fee ($700) plus the $299 filing fee. I did my 2 certificate courses online and paid $40 for each of those. So the grand total was $2079. Money well spent!
                          Stopped paying CC...April 2009
                          Filed CH 7 no-asset...Aug. 19, 2009
                          341 meeting...Sept. 22, 2009
                          DISCHARGED Nov. 24, 2009 CLOSED Dec. 9, 2009

Comment

I live in the San Fran. bay area. I am paying $3,000 (another lawyer wanted $3,500). I have a house, boat and stock so I don't know if that palyed into the price or not.

Comment

Oh man. We paid $2700 in TX for a no asset, straight-forward, easy peasy Ch 7.

D'oh!
                              Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                              341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X