Questions...attorney does not return calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions...attorney does not return calls

I suppose he thought he was done after he had received all of his payment. He told us he would be present at our 341, which was Sept. 16, but sent a paralegal instead. Docs. that the trustee requested in his hands by 10 days after the 341 were sent priority mail to our attorney the next day, and took 2 weeks for him to get them to the trustee, and another 2 weeks to tell us that the copies of docs. we sent were not sufficient, and we needed to send the originals. Messages left for him are unanswered.

Here are my problems:
    1. We sold a house with a seller financed mortgage about 3 years ago. The balance on the mortgage is around $30,000. Our attorney told us the trustee would probably sell the mortgage to an investor, and divide the proceeds among our creditors. (we had approx. $54,000 debt, so losing this mortgage income was the lesser of two evils.) We received $400 payment on the mortgage in Aug. and in Sept. prior to our 341 mtg. The trustee asked for bank statements to show what date we had received the payments. We received a letter from the trustee Oct. 26, requesting that we submit to him the $800 we had received. We do not have $800 -- we spent the payments we received for household expenses. I called the trustee's office, because lawyer would not return my calls. Secretary said he wants the money to put in escrow account and it would be returned to us when case is settled -- part of our $3000 exemption. We don't have $800, have even been thinking about applying for food stamps since losing this mortgage payment each month -- what will happen if we do not pay the trustee?

2. Received a letter today from the court saying that "creditors must now file claims in the case, in order to share in any distribution from the estate. Claims must be filed on or before 1/31/06". We were thinking the whole thing would be over by 12/15 at the latest, since our 341 was held on 9/16. Does this mean we won't get our discharge until after 1/31 ??

I wish we had used a local attorney -- we used one of those big firms advertised on TV, and we are just a number.

Becky
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy? ~ Albert Einstein

Not sure about the $$ the trustee wants, but the date for creditors to file claims should not change your discharge. Since there are assets to distribute, the only question is who gets what. The debts are all discharged, but only those who file claims will get a part of the BK $$.
    Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

Sounds like your attorney is "dropping the ball" and sending in a paralegal to do his job...... You didn't hire a paralegal!!!
      What's he thinking when he turns in documents 2 weeks late - he can cause you case to be dismissed.
      Also sounds like the Trustee has filed for a extension on your case because if he has it set for 1/31/06 for all claims to be submitted you won't be discharged until at least 3/21/06. He may have filed for extension due to lack of paperwork and late submittal of paperwork.
      Sounds like your lawyer is working against you......

I'd make sure he explained his actions.......... He got what he wanted - your money....

Watch him closesly, if you have too file a complaint with the bar association........

Minny
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

im not sure that a paralegal can go to the 341 meeting actually.

what state and what law firm was is?
        Im not an attorney or a trustee. You cant trust me either though!

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
        [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
        [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
        [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

I'm in Missouri -- sorry, I would rather not name names.
          A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy? ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

i thought you said it was a big firm. no reason not to provide the name so we can make sure people wont use them

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
            [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
            [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
            [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Afraid they'll say I slandered their reputation?

They advertise on TV, a national chain of law firms -- one of the largest BK firms in the US. I'm in bankruptcy, I obviously don't have the money to fight a bunch of shady lawyers who would sue me for slander if I mentioned the name.

Becky

Comment

Originally posted by Becky C
                They advertise on TV, a national chain of law firms -- one of the largest BK firms in the US. I'm in bankruptcy, I obviously don't have the money to fight a bunch of shady lawyers who would sue me for slander if I mentioned the name.

Becky
                If you're stating the facts pertaining to your experience(s) with them, and you can prove it, that isn't slander! But again, that doesn't mean they still couldn't sue you for slander! Unfortunately, we live in a very litigious society!
                The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

How about just posting a link to their webpage?
                  I'm in N. California ... Thanks for your replies!
                  10/11/05: bought www.form7.com software
                  10/14/05: Filed Ch 7 BK Petition pro se skeleton
                  10/27/05: Filed all schedules, etc.
                  11/17/05: 341 meeting (done!)
                  01/16/06: Last day to file objections
                  01/18/06: Discharged, closed

Bankruptcy LINKS

Comment

lol, yes im always looking for an attorney that stands out in a big firm. can you please post their webpage so that i may inquire as to their services? thank you.

;-)
                    Last edited by bkfiler; 11-10-2005, 07:52 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X