when should i surrender car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when should i surrender car?

I called my credit union to see if they would lower the balance or rate for me to keep my SUV but she said they don't do that ? So then she said I should surrender soon so they can then send me a reedemption letter? I thought what I had asked her to do by lowering the rate was a reedemption? I'm confused now? My attorney said I should surrender before 341, does that seem right or should I do it right away? I don't have any transportation but my mom and sister are going to let me use their cars to get around for a while.
    Filed Chapter 7 September 25, 2009
    341 November 2, 2009
    Final Day for Objections 1-1-10 (Happy New Year!)
    Discharged 1-4-10

It's rather up to you.
    They cannot take your SUV right now as the stay is in affect.
    If you are giving the truck up hang on to it as long as you can so you can replace it. many keep it past the 341 until near discharge and that buys you time.
    And don't make any payments on it as you are just throwing money away.
    When you give it up, take the plate off of it and turn them in to your DMV. Most states give you money back if you have not used it all.
    And cancel the insurance when you turn it in right away.

Comment

We surrendered both of our vehicles prior to our 341.
      One creditor filed a motion of stay (or whatever its called) and then came to pick it up... and the other lender is probably not going to get the other until after we are discharged I assume...wish I could drive it...
      chpt 13 11/25/08 converted 7/7/09 to a 7. No assests and surrendered vehicles...
      9/2009 Scores 515-565 & working up from here...10/9 they havent budged yet....why does our puppy & bk lawyer have the same name...lol Discharged 10/28/09 now the real work begins

Comment

My 341 was 7/18 and discharge was 9/21. Haven't paid on my car since the May payment and haven't heard squat from anyone what I should do with it. Still sitting in my driveway and yes, I still drive it.

No, I'm not calling them first.

Comment

Just keep driving it until they come to get it. Make sure to keep it insured. My 341 was on July 21st and I am still driving mine while not making payments since May. Still not discharged though as they are pretty backed up in Central FL.
          Chapter 7 filed - 6/12/09
          341 Meeting - 7/21/09
          Case Closed - 10/13/09

Comment

Originally posted by kym View Post
            We surrendered both of our vehicles prior to our 341.
            One creditor filed a motion of stay (or whatever its called) and then came to pick it up... and the other lender is probably not going to get the other until after we are discharged I assume...wish I could drive it...
            Why can't you drive it?
            Southern District of Florida
            Filed Ch 7 - 8/6/09 341 - 9/14/09
            Report of No Distribution - 9/18/09
            DISCHARGE ! 11/23/09 Closed 12/8/09

Comment

They tried hard to repossess my van before I filed. They showed up at my home when I was at work and left me a note. Then they came to my work but I was at another office. Bad timing on their part. After I filed the repo company called me twice but when I was very clear and would not "voluntarily" give them the vehicle they left it alone.

Now it is months since the discharge and some how I fell through the cracks. The van is still in the driveway. I bought another vehicle because I was sure they'd come get it. To date it still sits in my driveway. I use it sometimes but I think they've forgotten me.

OP, I think you should have a backup plan... Never fill the tank up and don't keep anything in the vehicle that you don't want to lose. Drive that sucker until you get up one morning and it isn't there.

Comment

I had my 341 last week and I am waiting for Toyota to call about their SUV. I wouldn't mind one bit if they wait a few months. Nothing wrong with driving a nice free car to work everyday. I have it cleaned out to just about nothing incase they come lurking in the night.
                New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

I have our toyota parked out on the public street. It still has tags and stuff on it. But I canceled the insurance... we are not driving it anymore. How will they know that the car sitting out on the road outside of my development is my car? Will they know by the license plates? Will they even know to look there?

I'm not behind on the payments yet...but I'm wondering if I should call them and tell them to come get it now or wait till they start wondering why I haven't paid it.
                  BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                  Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                    I have our toyota parked out on the public street. It still has tags and stuff on it. But I canceled the insurance... we are not driving it anymore. How will they know that the car sitting out on the road outside of my development is my car? Will they know by the license plates? Will they even know to look there?

I'm not behind on the payments yet...but I'm wondering if I should call them and tell them to come get it now or wait till they start wondering why I haven't paid it.
                    I would suggest that you call them if you want them to pick it up and tell them were it is.
                    Yes, they should have the plate number if they ran the VIN with DMV.

Comment

Park that car in your driveway if it has no insurance. They will get around to getting it one night. They are pretty sneaky and usually come & go unnoticed. You'd hate for the car to get impounded as you could owe towing and storage fees.

Comment

We have no driveway and I cannot park the car on our property without a parking sticker. So, its parked out in front of our complex on the side. Lots of cars park there all the time. I have nowhere else to keep it. It shouldn't get towed where it is.

What happens to your tags when they take your car?
                        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

Well you can't pull them as long as it's in the street or you will be cited.
                          If and when the car is picked up you should get a notice and you can get any personal stuff from it, like the plate.
                          The only reason you would really want to do this is if you state refunds the unused portion of the registration and you have time left on the plate.

Comment

Yea, that's why I was asking. And DMV really hates it when you don't return your plates... lol.

Comment

Considering the number of repossessions that happen in the middle of the night, DMV is used to a person not having the plates to surrender after a repo. My state has a form to fill out when you can't surrender the plates and you just check the appropriate box.

I had a car burn to the ground a few years ago and I didn't have the foresight to pull the still smoking burnt piece of metal that had been the tag off the back of the car. Fortunately, my tag office was very accommodating and simply allowed me to fill out the affidavit form.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X