341 a breeze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 a breeze!

We had our 341 on Friday and it was a breeze!

We were scheduled at 11:30am and arrived at about 10:45am to ensure we were prepared. We found the conference room and were slightly taken back by looking at the schedule of meetings that day; we were the ONLY Pro Se filers that day!

We went in and had a seat in the back of the room and there were only about 6-8 others in the room at the time. Two couples went before us, and it made us a little nervous because the trustee told one of them he'd be filing them as an asset case. The other couple had no SS cards and got extended until they could provide those.

When we got called up the nerves REALLY began to get jittery. We were sworn in and the questioning began. Asked us all the basic questions that he had asked others. Then he asked us to look at the different schedules and confirmed our assets. He questioned on exemption, because I had quote a case number rather than the state exemption rule. He said it was "odd, but he'd allow it" because the case I quoted was his own. It was an exemption that stated rent security deposits are exempt. He almost seemed impressed. Haha

He kept asking if we had ANY help with filling out the documents and I had to repeatedly tell him no. I told him I had only done research online and read the NOLO book. He asked where I got the book and how much it cost. I told him and that was that.

My biggest worry was the fact that we had no bank account the day of filing, and he didn't even bat an eyelash at it. He did mention that he would be keeping an eye on our tax refund and would likely take 2/3 of it. He recommended that we file an amendment to exempt our Earned Income Credit-nice guy! Then he told us he'd file for a discharge, but the case wouldn't close until after he received our tax refund check. All in all we were up there MAYBE 10 minutes and they were painless.

When we left an attorney approached us and said that we shouldn't have trusted the NOLO book because it's published in San Francisco (we're in Oregon) and may not have included all the proper exemptions. I couldn't hear exactly what he said because he was whispering, but we're pretty sure that he then offered to take us on as a client to file our amendment. Very odd.

Anyway, just wanted to post another successful 341 meeting story for those who have yet to experience it. The countdown is on!!

Congrats!!!!!! My 341 meeting is Oct 21st and i cant wait to get that over with..good to hear though and hopefully i have a good story like u.

Comment

Mine is coming up on the 13th=one week from Tuesday. I hope it goes as well yours! Congrats!
      Filed: 9/9/2009
      341: 10/13, went well!
      Discharged 12/17/2009

Comment

Congrats! Hope things continue to go smooth for you.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Congrats, especially on the Pro Se!
          New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

that's funny how you ended up citing the trustee's own case! that's something a lawyer might have tried to plan to get on a trustee's good side!

it's also funny how a bk lawyer is trying to get work at a 341 meeting. i think you can do it on your own...
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by polarisryan View Post
              ... He questioned on exemption, because I had quote a case number rather than the state exemption rule. He said it was "odd, but he'd allow it" because the case I quoted was his own. It was an exemption that stated rent security deposits are exempt. He almost seemed impressed. Haha...
              Did you know that the case you were citing was that of one of the trustees in your district, who could potentially be your trustee, or did you already know in advance that the guy you were quoting would be your trustee?
              I think, in either case, it was a smart move.

Did you happen to ask him, since he thought that the rent security deposit was exempt, what exemption rule should it go under?

Comment

Originally posted by bf2bf View Post
                Did you know that the case you were citing was that of one of the trustees in your district, who could potentially be your trustee, or did you already know in advance that the guy you were quoting would be your trustee?
                I think, in either case, it was a smart move.

Did you happen to ask him, since he thought that the rent security deposit was exempt, what exemption rule should it go under?
                No, I actually had no clue that he could have been our trustee. Just pure dumb luck! I didn't think to ask him about the exemption rule, I was just overjoyed that I made the trustee crack a smile!

Comment

If you don't mind me asking... Are you in Portland? We are filing in Portland. 341 on November 9th. I am not sure if we can post a Trustee's full name so I will only post part. If it was in Portland was it T. R e _ _ ?

Congrats on your meeting either way.
                  9/30/09 * Filed Ch7
                  11/9/09 * 341 - Uneventful
                  1/11/10 * Closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X